Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Racial Profiler
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend in need...

So - I got this friend... no really - I got one.

After riding the same Trek for the last 10 years, he finally scrounged up enough cash to buy a closeout '05 Roubaix Comp. One month later he hits the water-bottle cage with his foot, and rips out a small chunk of carbon.

Takes it down to the local shop that he bought it from, and they tell him to stop riding it (liability). They also tell him that Specialized won't warranty it because it is damage - not defect, there is no frame replacement program, and the only option he has is to use the upgrade program and get a Roubaix Pro frame for $250 off list.

Not only does he not have $900, I think it would be a little silly to replace a frame with almost the exact same thing you already had problems with...

So my question - is he just SOL as it appears? Are there any other avenues of recompense / replacement he can seek out?

Thanks

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
My suggestion is........next time, buy a steel frame.......
I didn't say this,......... but.....................he could back his car over the back wheel, and stays, and claim it on his insurance. If he has "replacement cost" insurance, he would just be out his deductable. (Some parts should be protected from damage, so that they can be used with a new frame)

· Racial Profiler
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MR_GRUMPY said:
My suggestion is........next time, buy a steel frame.......
I didn't say this,......... but.....................he could back his car over the back wheel, and stays, and claim it on his insurance. If he has "replacement cost" insurance, he would just be out his deductable. (Some parts should be protected from damage, so that they can be used with a new frame)
Yeah - I've got a steel frame. I am starting to believe it is nigh indestructible. I've been rammed at speed and barely wobble while the rammer flies to the ground :)

He's too honest for that. I tried to convince him to tell the dealership that it broke when he was pulling out his waterbottle. No dice.

It seems inevitable. Now that the standard for a light CF frame is down to sub 1kg, there can't be a whole lot of structural support in there....

I pointed him towards Calfee's website. Hopefully they can work some magic for him.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.