Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to determine between a 58cm and a 56cm Roubaix. My measurements are the following:

Height: 72.00 in (6 feet)
Sternum Notch: 58.00 in
Inseam Length: 33.25 in
Arm Length: 25.50 in
Shoulder Width: 17.50 in
Flexiblity: 4
Weight: 180.00 lbs
Foot Size: 13.00 USMens

Wrenchscience recommends:

WS Recommended Sizes
Frame Size center-to-center: 55 cm
Frame Size center-to-top: 57 cm
Overall Reach: 67.82 cm
Saddle Height: 74.58 cm
Handlebar Width: 44 cm

I currently ride a 58 cm allez elite, and it seems a little long. The 58 Roubaix seems long while the 56 seems a little small. What do you all recommend that I go with? Any other riders with similar dimensions?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess since my recommended reach is 678, and the top tube on the 56 is 565, that gives me 113 mm for the stem. Slacking it up a little, a 100mm stem would make sense. Hmmm, I think I answered my own question; I am going with the 56.

Mike

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I'm 6' and ride a 58 with a short stem. If you go with the 56, aren't you going to have to jack the seat up and have a pretty good saddle to bar drop. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the Roubaix? Might as well go with a Tarmac.

·
Registered
14 Posts
A little over 6' and I find my '08 56 Roubaix Pro to be very comfortable over thousands of miles of riding and my measurements are very similar to yours.

Hope that this helps.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
jd3 said:
I'm 6' and ride a 58 with a short stem. If you go with the 56, aren't you going to have to jack the seat up and have a pretty good saddle to bar drop. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the Roubaix? Might as well go with a Tarmac.
While I follow this logic and it makes some sense initially, I don't think it's a good way to decide on frame size. Essentially what you're doing is letting frame stack (part of which is determined by HT length) guide your decision, because a smaller frame size has a shorter HTL, thus shorter stack; larger size, taller stack. But that disregards the fact that TT length is more critical to a correct fit - along with an appropriate length stem for proper reach.

A better method (IMHO) would be to choose frame size based on TT length first and if need be, adjust saddle to bar drop by using an appropriate stem angle.

·
bike paths are gnar
64 Posts
I am 6' with a 31 inseam.

56 Roubaix Elite is my current steed....no pressure points, very efficient and comfortable.

58 felt huge

·
Registered
173 Posts
I am 5'11" with 32.5" inseam and ride 58cm tarmac, 56 felt to crowded in the cockpit.
BTW my Lemond is 57 cm
Adjusting bike with wrong frame size with seat height and stem can significantly change the handling of the bike. I would say test ride both 56 and 58 properly fitted, take them to flat section, climb, twisty downhill and see which one you like

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I went with the 56 and just did my first 50 mile ride on it. The only thing that seemed a little strange was that when I get out of the saddle and lean forward, my legs occasionally nick the handlebars. I think moving to a 110 mm stem will fix that. Otherwise it feels much more comfortable than my 58 allez while seated. I am very happy with my purchase.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.