Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about upgrading from my 1991 bridgestone rb-1 to either of these two bikes. I rode the expert and it was nice: stiffer and a tad smoother than the old rb-1. I don't have an opportunity to ride the excalibur but the CC deal (1999) is super. I do have a marginal lower back and don't ride with a lot of drop from the saddle to bars. any suggestions would be appreciated. price for both would be about the same.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
cfrago said:
I am thinking about upgrading from my 1991 bridgestone rb-1 to either of these two bikes. I rode the expert and it was nice: stiffer and a tad smoother than the old rb-1. I don't have an opportunity to ride the excalibur but the CC deal (1999) is super. I do have a marginal lower back and don't ride with a lot of drop from the saddle to bars. any suggestions would be appreciated. price for both would be about the same.
If you can these for the same price, then I would get the Specialized. I just really like the way it looks much better. I have not ridden the Ridley though. I love my Expert.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I don't have a Roubaix, but I do have a Tarmac and a Ridley Excalibur. Both are very nice bikes. To be honest, I don't think you could go wrong with either one. The Ridley does have a slightly more laid back seat tube, which will shorten the effective reach give the same tt length and a kops knee positon.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Expert is a great bike, I looked at many bikes over last winter and spring and finally bought the Expert, and have never looked back... best advice: go with the one that will motivate you to ride!

Ride well and often.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I picked up an excalibur on the CC deal and love it. Went you for 50 miles saturday AM and it felt pretty damn nice. I did swap the seat to an aliante but stock other than that. I dont think the ride was harsh at all and love the way it just goes. The downtube on the bike is massive and that is not an exaggeration. And if you care, its nice to not have the same bike as every 3rd rider out on the road.. Any specific Q's PM me.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
thefuzz said:
I picked up an excalibur on the CC deal and love it. Went you for 50 miles saturday AM and it felt pretty damn nice. I did swap the seat to an aliante but stock other than that. I dont think the ride was harsh at all and love the way it just goes. The downtube on the bike is massive and that is not an exaggeration. And if you care, its nice to not have the same bike as every 3rd rider out on the road.. Any specific Q's PM me.
Yes, and I saw this bike on that ride and the bike is beautiful. As a result, I am revising my opinion. Get the Ridley. It is a very nice bike. In addition, my Expert retails for $3,300, so I question whether it can be had for $2,000. At $2,000, the Ridley is a steal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.