Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously contemplating a leftover 2012... I'm 6'8", summer weight around 220.

I want a faster, lighter bike. New, carbon, flashy is interesting too.

Current rides:
2012 custom Gunnar Roadie with loooong cranks (210's). Built this around long cranks to carry me well past 50 (I'm 42) - comfy, tall stack, sport touring geometry. But not super quick. Great for a fun ride or century tho.

2000 Cannondale R600. Quick, but old tech. Lots of flex in BB and with quill stem sticking out, etc. Had a few good wobbles on screaming descents.

Found a 2012 SL3 Expert at a very attractive price. 18.5 lbs, granted I'll have to probably train with heavier wheels.

Here's what I'm hoping for - stiffer BB, a bike that's smooth on the bumps, but a good climber (western WI, lots of hills), fast but smooth descender. Basically something a little quicker, may do a couple of road races this year.

So the 64 would appear to fit, but man, not sure if I can get used to having all of that seat post out (stock post sill has 1" til I hit the max stripe). Only ride so far was on trainer, hoping to get some warmer weather so I can get it outside. Felt good overall, had it set up pretty much like my C'dale.

View attachment 275822

Looking for input from taller riders who've put some miles on a Roubaix.

Any other thoughts/suggestions?

LAX

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm only 6'2" on a regular 58 cm 2007 version roubaix (interestingly, I have that EXACT frame you just looked at winging it's way to my house, should arrive next week).

The seat post is just a "feature" of compact geo, you'll get used to it. Make sure you have a sufficient quantity of post in the seat tube so you don't damage the frame.

Anyway, my older, less stiff & less bump-erasing roubaix is plenty stiff for my 215# self and does a pretty good job at smoothing out roads. The SL3 should be a huge upgrade over what I'm currently riding so I'm really looking forward to it. The older frame was a massive upgrade over my previous Ti framed Merlin in both stiffness and absorbing the high frequency buzz from rougher surfaces, but obviously really rough roads are still really rough.

I imagine you can wait 'em out too - how many 6'8" riders are going to walk in wanting to ride that bike? You can probably talk them into renting it to you for the day.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
I'm 6'5" on a 58 Tarmac so I have lots of seat-post showing - no more than a 1cm above the line, but I'm not growing any more.

That Roubaix looks really good for you, and the 64 is not easy to find either. Take a test ride on the road and see how you like it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have the same size SL3 Roubaix from 2011, I am 6'6" and somewhere between 220-230lbs. Been really happy with the ride and how it climbs. Only thing I didn't like are the Fulcrum wheels it came with, after about 1500 miles I was starting to break spokes on the rear wheel. I feel the frame absorbs the rough road bumps quite well while being stiff enough I can't detect any flex like I do on my old aluminum commuter bike.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After some chilly but exhausting test rides last night - I pulled the trigger. Pulling the dozen or so warning stickers off of the bike, took the reflectors off, now the pie plate and I'm ready to go.

The Axis wheels are stronger than I anticipated, just based upon feel 24H front radial, 30H Radial/cross3 rear. Not sure if they're going to ebay or not yet...

Still on the fence with the cranks - I run 200's on the 'dale and 210's on the custom Gunnar, so 175's feel - different.

Thanks again for the input.

LAX

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
get longer cranks 180s or up, sell those wheels and get a nice set of 32 spoke 3x built up
low spoke count means higher spoke tension
with bigger riders and more torque it is a recipe for broken spokes

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
Congrats on the bike- the SL3's are fantastic!
I think ATP's advice is sound; sell the stock wheels and buy something more bombproof- you're going to be cranking out some torque.
Besides- it's a ROUBAIX! So hit some crappy roads, broken asphalt, gravel, (cobbles?) etc...
Definitely get longer cranks, maybe not the 210's you have on your Gunnar, but at least 180's, possibly longer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.