Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test rode some tarmacs and roubaixs back in march. Thought i was a 56. Now I've eventually got a 56cm Roubaix Expert '08 nearly new, which i think is totally standard. I've got the seat back as far as it will go and I can still see the front axle in front of the bars when riding the hoods. I might be being paranoid but it feels small too. Though I don't think by much. I've just measured seat to crank and seat front to bars and the measurements are the same as for my old ali bike, which fit me perfectly. Maybe something to do with the front geometry, or paranoia. I'm wondering if a new stem might fix it, swapping the old 100mm one for a 130mm (plus a sneaky carbon upgrade :D ). This should stretch me out a little more, and make the difference. Any other options, other than getting a 58cm. I can't believe the adjustment needed will be that great.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Just go back to the bike shop and have them switch out the stem to a 1 cm longer model. If that still seems too short get the next longer stem, I wouldn't jump up 3 cms. It takes 2 minutes to switch out a stem so most decent bike shops will swap out stems for nothing. I've always felt that a bike with a longer stem seems less twitchy than shorter stems.

twinkles

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
+1

Dr_John said:
Did you establish this position by knee-over-pedal?

Ignore this as a means of gauging if a bike fits.

Didn't the place you bought the bike from offer a fit? Sounds like that's what you need.
I agree. The OP is describing fit issues that go beyond a simple stem fix. In lieu of true bike fitting, I'd check the KOPS and go from there. From the description, I'd say there's a possibility that the OP needs a slack STA - moreso than what the Roubaix's offer.

BUT... the best solution is a bike fit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've hardly ridden it yet, so my concerns are very premature. I've just established KOPS and it so happens that it is spot on, with the saddle where i guessed it should be. I shall go out for 50m or so and see how it feels. The stem is in the lower position, so I'll flip it and see how that feels too. May be at worst I just need another 10mm on the stem... Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
484 Posts
How tall are you? I had a '05 Roubaix Comp size 56cm and I am around 5'10" to 5'11" with 32" inseam. The bike fitted me great with a 120mm stem.

The Roubaix actually has a very relax geometry and it's wheel base is wider than most road bikes. My seat has to be in a very forward position to make the knee over pedal axis aligned. Maybe the geometry for the '08 models are different. I would suggest bring it back to the LBS and have them fit it. That's one of the reasons Specialized refuse to sell their bikes online.

·
RBR Veteran Opinionater
1,512 Posts
If you end up getting a 58, I'll give you 100 American dollars, in cash, for your 56cm frame. My genorous offer will reduce the pain of buying a 2nd bike. If you prefer to sell the whole bike, I will up the amount to 200 american dollars.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tjjm36m3 said:
You sure you got a 105mm stem? It usually go in 1cm or 10mm increments. But you're right, stem length is measured from center to center.
Yes, def'n. Just double checked, 105mm centre to centre.

Now been out for a quick 25m. Much happier. I think it is now just a case of settling in to the new steed. Like anything new, when the old one was akin to a favourite pair of slippers. Saddles a bit, erm uncompromising! But again I guess I'll soon be used to it.

One thing I've noticed, is compared to the old ali, any unsmooth pedaling is much more noticeable. Instantly noticed as a jerky back-forth sensation. Have to work on that...

I'm loving the new Ultegra compact crank too!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.