Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please tell me I didn't just see the majority of the pelaton in a professional bike race, IN FRANCE, get stopped by a train. This race is allegedly the most important classic on the calendar, and no one thought to look into train schedules? That is completely unacceptable.

I know, it takes a bit of luck to win a bike race, but the point of any sporting event is that the best rider should win based mostly on their merit. When you introduce too much randomness, too many things outside of the athlete's control, it detracts from the accomplishment. I can see flat tires, someone else crashing in front of you, or even steerer tubes breaking - that's part of racing. But the chase group being completely stopped in their tracks while trying to reel in a breakaway - BY A TRAIN!

https://www.velonews.com/images/int/9721.14359.f.jpg

BTW - I still think Cancellara would have won, but that's not the point.

·
Rock the Mullet!
305 Posts
You didn't

lavamantis said:
Please tell me I didn't just see the majority of the pelaton in a professional bike race, IN FRANCE, get stopped by a train. This race is allegedly the most important classic on the calendar, and no one thought to look into train schedules? That is completely unacceptable.

I know, it takes a bit of luck to win a bike race, but the point of any sporting event is that the best rider should win based mostly on their merit. When you introduce too much randomness, too many things outside of the athlete's control, it detracts from the accomplishment. I can see flat tires, someone else crashing in front of you, or even steerer tubes breaking - that's part of racing. But the chase group being completely stopped in their tracks while trying to reel in a breakaway - BY A TRAIN!

You saw 3 riders of the PELOTON get slowed by the train and three other riders get stopped by it. Given that this is six out of 199 riders you did not in fact see the majority stopped. 100 riders would have had to stop for it to be the majority of the peloton. You see majority means more than half. Trains have always been a factor in european road racing and it is completely ridiculous that you expect the whole rail system to come to a halt for a bike race. There was an attempt to coordinate the crossing before the race but the riders arrived way ahead of schedule. If you want to blame someone, blame the riders for riding too fast and screwing up the coordination that was done before the race. People really need to get over the idea that all of French commerce and industry must come to a halt when a couple hundred guys in lycra come riding by on their bicycles.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
As others have said...

Mosovich said:
and I agree, some times those things happen. Remember 1985 when Bauer and Lemond were stopped by a train, and it was a commuter train. So, it's happened before and it'll happen again I'm sure.
As others have said, this happens all the time. It is a consequence of bike racing at times when you're crossing the RR tracks. It has happened to me personally in several races over the years, and well, it happens. They say it takes luck to win PR, and this is just another luck factor.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
lavamantis said:

From Cyclingnews.....

As it turned out, the train in question was a goods transport, of which the schedules cannot be as controlled by the French trains corporation SNCF as passenger's trains can be. Moreover, the race was 15 minutes ahead of the fastest schedule, so the organisers could not prevent the incident from happening.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
magnolialover said:
As others have said, this happens all the time. It is a consequence of bike racing at times when you're crossing the RR tracks. It has happened to me personally in several races over the years, and well, it happens. They say it takes luck to win PR, and this is just another luck factor.
At least it isn't like auto racing where the race is spent neutralized almost as much as it is "on."

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
teoteoteo said:
From Cyclingnews.....

As it turned out, the train in question was a goods transport, of which the schedules cannot be as controlled by the French trains corporation SNCF as passenger's trains can be. Moreover, the race was 15 minutes ahead of the fastest schedule, so the organisers could not prevent the incident from happening.
Why are people making such a big deal of this? I've seen it happen several times before and it's not like it would have mattered if the PvP group had stopped like they should have. They weren't going to catch Cancellera nor were they going to get caught. The fact that they ended up DQ'd is the only reason the train changed the results.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, living in Belgium, I can assure you our rail system is checked before the race or avoided where possible. What is it with you Americans and Paris-Roubaix. The greatest road race of all definitely is Rond van Vlaanderen: it is longer, harder by the ferocious climbs and there definitely are less trains to take into account. You should ask Hincapie, he had a great race there this year.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Ronde!!!

I'm an American and I agree. Though I do love Roubaix, the Cobbled Bergs of the Ronde is what makes it so magic (and the Frites and Leffe)

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
atpjunkie said:
I'm an American and I agree. Though I do love Roubaix, the Cobbled Bergs of the Ronde is what makes it so magic (and the Frites and Leffe)

It depends on the weather. ...remember? ;)

·
Super Moderator
19,480 Posts
atpjunkie said:
Agreed. The Ronde is harder (and then there's the moules frites and Tongerlo). MMMMmmmmm!

·
Soul Mining
382 Posts
Perhaps it's not such a good thing during a Classic race, but you often see the peloton stopping at train crossings throughout the Tour de France.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Well...

Belgian biker said:
Well, living in Belgium, I can assure you our rail system is checked before the race or avoided where possible. What is it with you Americans and Paris-Roubaix. The greatest road race of all definitely is Rond van Vlaanderen: it is longer, harder by the ferocious climbs and there definitely are less trains to take into account. You should ask Hincapie, he had a great race there this year.
Well, since Paris Roubaix was just yesterday, and the RvV was last week, we decided to discuss the race of the week, which was Paris Roubaix. Scan down the list, and see the other discussions on Flanders from the week before. There were many. Also, Hincapie has said many times that the Classic he most wants to win is Paris Roubaix. But I do realize that if you're a Belgian, and you win the Ronde, you are beatified as a God for the rest of your entire life. And this, is a good thing. The Ronde van Vlaanderen is a great great race, it's just that it was last week. Time to move onward.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts