Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test rode a couple Roubaix's today. An XXL (61cm) with a 110mm high rise stem, and an XL (58 cm) with a 120mm high rise stem. The tech was trying to get the distance from the seat post to the bar to be the same on both setups. With this setup the bar was about level with the seat on the XXL and about 1/2 inch below on the XL.

I'm inclined to go with the smaller frame as I erred with a too big frame on my last bike. The smaller bike is an 05 closeout with 105 brakes and Ultregra shifters vs unknown brakes and 105 shifters on the 06 XXL. The asking price for both is the same.

The formulas to determine frame size that I have seen indicate I should be in a 60cm frame, right between the two sizes available. I'm 6'1", 200lb, 35.5" cycling inseam with 37" arms.

Since the frame/stem combos on both seem to fall within the norm, should I be reasonable comfortable on both? is there any benefit one way or another when choosing to go smaller frame/longer stem vs larger frame/shorter stem? And would 1/2" differnce in drop between the two setups be appreciable to relatively new rider?

· Registered
9 Posts
eyefly,

I have an '06 Roubaix expert in the xl frame (58cm). I am 6'1" 230lbs. I came from a Giant TCR 1 large frame which was too small for me. I did not get fit by the LBS other than by eye and the bike is night & day over the Giant. I have ridden about 200 miles so far and have just made minor adjustments. I have a 32" inseam on pants, never measured for the cycling inseam, but did test ride a 61cm and it felt way too big.

It seems that you would be happy with either one, but my I would suggest the 58CM. Another suggestion would be paying for a professional fit if you can't make the decision.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input, I got off the fence and went with the 05' xl. The several times I rode a 58cm Roubaix it always felt 'right'. I'm guessing I'm going to really appreciate the upgrade from my 20 year old CroMo Trek!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.