Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, crazy comparison!

Did a brief ride on a SL4 udi2 and thought 'my goodness this feels good'. But my goodness that's a lot of money (even the sale price of $2,500) for a fat ass (265) who wants to extend his distances on roads.

My question is simple. How does the Synapse alloy compare in ride and fit to the Roubaix carbon models? I see cannondale has a sale now and the alloy 105 disc (eww, disc) is $1150. LOVE the black color of the bike but don't know that it's really comparable. None local to ride. have zero desire for disc brakes so that's a knock against the alloy but again I love the look.

Also curious if it's typical for LBS to deal on non factory sale bikes. The SL4 sport would be a consideration if I could get it for around $1,500 or so. List is $2k on that one.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Why do you need a new bike to increase your distances on roads? That's a red flag to me.

If you don't like disc brakes.... don't buy a bike that has them.

What is a non factory sale bike?

LBS's are very, very small businesses. If you want a deal from them, it's coming directly out of the pocket of the owner, be aware of that.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
regarding distance i'd like to be a bit more comfortable than my current trek 1.1. I get a bit of numbness in the hands after a period of time and would like to reduce this issue when doing 30+ mile rides.

also would really like nicer shifting and more gears.

and then there's just the good ol' fashioned 'want something new-itis'.

·
Registered
470 Posts
there is only one cure for new-itus!!! however, if you hands are getting tired at 30 miles, I bet a good fitting is worth the investment for you. Also core strengthening to help keep you off your hands a little.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
regarding distance i'd like to be a bit more comfortable than my current trek 1.1. I get a bit of numbness in the hands after a period of time and would like to reduce this issue when doing 30+ mile rides.

also would really like nicer shifting and more gears.

and then there's just the good ol' fashioned 'want something new-itis'.

Well if you buy a new bike you're going to have the same problems, or even more problems. You don't have knee pain now? No back pain? You very well could on a new bike. And you'll still have numb hands probably. Nicer gears though.

If you just want to buy something new, that's fine. But I promise you a new bike won't solve your poor fitment issues. You'll need to figure those out by changing the position of your contact points. I caution against a "professional fitting" as most of those I see done cause more trouble than anything.

Look into Steve Hogg. He has lots of free information on the internet about dealing with pains and problems. Also just google things like numb hands when cycling. You'll find that your handlebars are probably too high and too close to you. Also maybe your seat isn't perfectly level, maybe it's tilted down some. Level the seat, flip the stem or get a longer one, and your hand problems may disappear. You'll have to work on it, no matter what bike you are on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts