Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a new road bike. I have bought into the marketing hype and have an irrational desire for a Roubaix. My budget is around 2500. I don't race and don't plan to. I want something that would be comfortable all day long. What else would be comparable to the Roubaix in ride quality. One other thing I am more of a mountain biker then a road biker so I want a road bike I can keep for years.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I rode both the Tarmac and the Roubaix when I was looking for a new bike. I found the Tarmac to be just as comfortable for long rides, but handled quicker. The Roubaix felt "disconnected" to me. The Tarmac felt smooth and stable, but with just enough feedback to remind me I was actually out on the road. The Tarmac also felt a little stiffer to me when pedaling hard out of the saddle, but that may have been just my imagination. I have ridden it on many long rides and it doesn't beat you up at all.

You may also want to look at a steel frame if long ride comfort is your top priority.

·
waterproof*
41,745 Posts
Haystack Calhoun said:
.... I want a road bike I can keep for years.
How many years? 3? 10? 30? Makes a difference. I'm not a carbon basher (in fact I'm looking at race bikes now) but the evidence doesn't look like you'll see 15-30 year old carbon bikes rolling in the group rides, like you commonly see old steel and Ti bikes.

3-5 years, no prob.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Second Cervelo RS...

damitamit said:
Cervelo RS?
I test rode a Roubaix (a number of times), a Tarmac, and a Cervelo RS. All I can say is the Cervelo rides completely different than the Specialized. It may be out of your price range, but you really should ride as many bikes as you can to feel different rides..

·
What up, dog?
473 Posts
damitamit said:
Cervelo RS?
...if all you need is the frame. $2500 doesn't get you far in Cervelo-world.

Felt is awesome. You might be able to find a Litespeed Teramo, Firenze, or Tuscany from last year - they are AWESOME rides. Lots of great bikes in your price range. Get out there and ride them - it's your ass & money, not ours. You need to feel good on it, not us.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I've owned both a Roubaix and a Cannondale Synapse, which is Cdale's "comfort" road bike and I prefer the Synapse. As much praise as the Roubaix gets for it's smooth ride, the Synapse is notably smoother. I also find that the Synapse seems to be stiffer in the BB area, perhaps due to it's BB30 crankset/BB. Another option to look at that hasn't been mentioned is the Pilot series from Trek.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Haystack Calhoun said:
I am in the market for a new road bike. I have bought into the marketing hype and have an irrational desire for a Roubaix. My budget is around 2500. I don't race and don't plan to. I want something that would be comfortable all day long. What else would be comparable to the Roubaix in ride quality. One other thing I am more of a mountain biker then a road biker so I want a road bike I can keep for years.

Roubaix is a great bike. I had one for a couple of years. I do like my Ridley better, however.

BUT - you'll tire is seeing hordes of them (Trek's too) at every group ride, century, etc.

+1 on the Look, or something along those lines that you don't see quite so many of.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Read the article in last months Bicycling and then wait until Octoberish for the '09 version to come out. I talked to our rep a few weeks ago and he said the new one is amazing. It has a ride like the current roubaix but somehow has the stiffness and sprinting ability of the tarmac.

·
Lizard King
31 Posts
Just my opinion, but I would look at the Synapse or a Bianchi 928 c2c series bike. They are priced where you are looking, and both are very comfortable rides. I have a Synapse, and it is an "all day" bike. Very light how I have it built (16.8), and climbs really well. It is stiff in the BB section, and stable at descending speeds. Really comes down to your personal feel on the bike.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Orbea Onix is a very nice carbon bike at a very nice price if carbon is what your looking for but if your into steel, check out GVH, he carries alot of very nice frames also at nice prices... mostly Italian handmade frames which is always a plus (though it is mail order unless you live in Oregon)...and both these will yield the awe factor not found with a Specialized or a Trek 8)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.