Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Ive got a 2004 campag chorus rear hub which seems to be running a bit rough. When I take the cassette off, the hubs run smooth, but soon as I put it back on, it runs rough again. Any ideas?

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Brad440 said:
Hi, Ive got a 2004 campag chorus rear hub which seems to be running a bit rough. When I take the cassette off, the hubs run smooth, but soon as I put it back on, it runs rough again. Any ideas?
more info please. Is it rough when free wheeling, what about when the freehub is spinning? You can take the freehub off pretty easily without messing with the wheel bearings to see if the cartridge type bearing in the freehub is bad. The campy website has some nice exploded drawings to see how it all fits.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's rough both when freewheeling and freehub spinning. I have taken the freehub off and the bearings seem OK. When I put the cassette back on, it's only when I tighten the lock ring up, that the hub starts to run a bit rough. It's as if tightening the cassette compresses something?

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Brad440 said:
It's rough both when freewheeling and freehub spinning. I have taken the freehub off and the bearings seem OK. When I put the cassette back on, it's only when I tighten the lock ring up, that the hub starts to run a bit rough. It's as if tightening the cassette compresses something?
That is a tough one. I stripped a chorus hub of it's usable parts on Saturday after breaking a piece out of the flange last weekend. I will look at the bag of parts when I get home. I am in Hawaii, EST minus 6 hours.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, it is a tough one. I think I'll strip it all down and give it a good clean and re-grease. I did notice the free hub is much more quiet now, after pulling it apart the first time. It hasn't got that loud clicking noise now when free wheeling. Thanks for the offer of parts, I'll let you know how the rebuild goes.......

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Brad440 said:
Yeah, it is a tough one. I think I'll strip it all down and give it a good clean and re-grease. I did notice the free hub is much more quiet now, after pulling it apart the first time. It hasn't got that loud clicking noise now when free wheeling. Thanks for the offer of parts, I'll let you know how the rebuild goes.......
Friend, I am saving the parts, I have two other campy wheelsets. I was going to look at them to see what might be affected by compressing. The clicking noise should be louder than a shimano hub, and it is not noise, it is music. If you have a chainsaw, bar oil makes a good coating for the freehub pawls.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.