Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the initial planning stages of driving part of this route. Thinking about starting in new Mexico and going west. The background is I have an older brother who was in Vietnam and loved the late 60's Chrysler muscle cars. My thoughts are to try and rent a higher end new version, and do the drive with him. He has been dealing with cancer for a few years now and we're not sure how long he'll actually go yet, but right now he can still get around and do things and I thought it would be a cool thing to do while he's still able this fall.

If anyone has any experiences or even cool stories I have months to plan I hope so feel free to chime in.

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,152 Posts
Some relatives did a trip on Rt. 66 close to 20 years ago now. It took them nearly 2 full weeks to get from Michigan to California...but, they had a van full of kids and did a ton of stops along the way. With just you and your brother, I'd imagine you could cover ground a lot quicker...fewer potty stops, fewer food stops, stuff like that.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
It all comes together in Albuquerque: Rt. 66 + airport + car rental.
Next (western) possibility is Flagstaff?

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I haven't checked in depth yet, but I imagine availability of the kind of car I want will be a factor...

·
gazing from the shadows
27,287 Posts
If anyone has any experiences or even cool stories ...
I don't. But there are a zillion or so route 66 planners that show up on a google search. I'd suggest starting with looking at attractions, and this link seems good of the handful I quickly skimmed. Route 66 Attractions It has links by category (towns, parks, Americana, etc), and a state by state link list too.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Note that in many places out west, the original route has been repurposed as the route for the local Interstate. This is true of large portions of 66 west of Oklahoma City.

If you get into Abq., there's the Rt 66 Diner, up from downtown on Central (Rt 66). It's near the University.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts

1 - 14 of 14 Posts