Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been posting my rides on the United States Track and Field website for the past few years. It's great and runs on the Google Maps platform, calculating distances, elevation changes and profile, and includes the ability for users to describe the route with types of surfaces, etc. I got to thinking, what if I was doing all of these long routes and people who are runners have to wonder about who is running so far all of the time? And all I'm getting from them are short routes from their home and back. So, what kinds of sites have the features I would enjoy for Cycling routes?

Here's an article on what's available:

Perhaps you know of others? If you do, how about posting the sites in this thread so others may enjoy the resources as well.

· Registered
136 Posts
www.roadbikerides.com

www.motionbased.com

Motion based is Garmin's site and it's a pay service. There is a free account available but it's pretty limited and will only store your last 5 or 10 rides.

I use www.mapmyride.com it's probably the best out of all of them but it could still use some improvements. The mapping utility is o.k., definitely not great. It would be nice if manipulating a route was as easy as it is in google maps.

Jared

· Registered
21,834 Posts
Some more mapping resources

dfarin said:
I've been posting my rides on the United States Track and Field website for the past few years. It's great and runs on the Google Maps platform, calculating distances, elevation changes and profile, and includes the ability for users to describe the route with types of surfaces, etc. I got to thinking, what if I was doing all of these long routes and people who are runners have to wonder about who is running so far all of the time? And all I'm getting from them are short routes from their home and back. So, what kinds of sites have the features I would enjoy for Cycling routes?

Here's an article on what's available:

Perhaps you know of others? If you do, how about posting the sites in this thread so others may enjoy the resources as well.
---runningmap.com
---www.toporoute.com doesn't require clicking multiple times to go around a curve. It has logic to follow the road. For bike paths and shortcuts that aren't roads, it allows you to "not follow the road." It also has an elevation feature. You can even create a link to your route and e-mail it to friends.
---www.bikely.com uses Google maps. It's got some great features including an elevation chart.
---www.mapmyride.com lets riders save their routes and e-mail them to friends or post them on the Map My Ride website for access by the internet community. This could be a good source for finding a decent route when visiting an unfamiliar area. A route can be uploaded to Google Earth to overlay it there. It has a "follow roads" option where you don't have to put lots of points around curves to get accurate results.
---eloroutes.org offers GPX and Google Earth export plus auto-routing, a feature that makes the route lines "snap" to the road. -- Matt M., veloroutes creator
---www.routeslip.com has many routes mapped out and also includes elevation profiles.
---www.cyclistnexus.com is very much a work in progress but there are some awesome features. You can track weekly mileage, favorite routes, weekly elevation gain and heart rate info. Plus you can plan out events and group rides.
---maps.google.com. Google maps can automatically follow the corners for you. Google also gives turn-by-turn written directions for those who are map-reading challenged. Unfortunately the time estimates are off since it assumes you will be traveling at the speed limit. It also doesn't give you an elevation profile.
---www.gmap-pedometer.com can use a hybrid view of satellite with street names. When your trusted Cateye computer is on the fritz then you can count on this site to count your miles.
---www.2wheeltech.com/biking/gmap.php. An application that can be used to save any of kind of running, cycling or other route. The tool is based on the new interface that Google has provided for its Google Maps program.
---www.motionbased.com. MotionBased is a web application that translates GPS data into functional analysis and online mapping for athletes. Affiliated with the Garmin GPS company.
---www.allsportgps.com. Works with Trimble AllSport GPS. It's designed to run on GPS-enabled cell phones and in web browsers, combining global positioning technology and mobile communications. It's free and works great with a Garmin Forerunner 301.
--- www.bikeroutetoaster.com as one of the best mapping sites out there. It allows you to download in numerous formats and even saves your rides online.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow! Could this become a sticky item in this forum?

Kudos to Kerry Irons and Averen. I'm punching up these addresses and bookmarking them one after another. Should keep me busy the next week or so trying out their features.This is like one stop shopping for route planning information tailored to cyclists. :thumbsup:

Too bad Verizon doesn't support the Trimble Allsports GPS function on their phones. I'ld use it a lot more often than I would their GPS application which is limited to typical driving issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.