Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be visiting my folks in Kona for 2 weeks in May and will need to get out and ride. Can someone suggest a good shop to rent a high end bike from and a couple of good routes up to 60 miles? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
19,599 Posts
The Hawaii Belt Road goes north out of Kona past the airport and then becomes the Queen Kaahumanu highway. You can ride this to Kawaihae Rd. and either go straight on the Akoni Pune Hwy or make a right on Kawaihae Rd and climb up to Waimea. A few miles before Waimea you can turn left onto the Kohala Mtn Road and go out to Kohala that way. These roads are through so you can make a nice loop out of it if you like.

Another way to get to Waimea from Kona is to take the Mamalahoa Hwy which is the upcountry road. There are several through streets from Kona. Get a map of the island and see what will work best for you. Depends if you are staying in Kailua-Kona or at one of the resorts on the Kohala coast. Also depends on the weather. Riding the low road , Queen Kaahumanu can get extremely hot. You are literally riding through lava fields and baking the entire way. The upcountry road , Mamalahoa Hwy, is less trafficked and cooler.

Anyway to get to Honokaa: once you get to Waimea keep going east on the Hawaii Belt Road (the main hwy). Waimea is kinda windy cause it's the saddle between Mauna Kea and the Kohala Mtns. Stay on the Hwy and you will arch around to the south east. You will come out on the Hamakua coast side of the island.

Honokaa is a well marked little town on the left. Be sure to turn off here and ride to the Waipio Valley overlook. It's just about 9 miles down the road and is one of the most spectacular sights in all Hawaii.

Like I said, I wouldn't recommend riding farther south of Honokaa. Traffic gets a little crazy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can find decent road bikes for rent at places like HP or B&L. They aren't top of the line, but decent mid-level machines.

As mentioned by il Sogno, the Kohala Mountain ride is a great daytrip. Lots of traffic though between Kailua and Waimea, also between Kawaihae and Kailua.

But I will have to disagree with the assesment of the Hamakua side of the island. Riding there is awesome, no where near the amount of traffic that is on the Kona side, plus lush forests and winding rolling roads compared to straight highways through tree-less lavafields on the Kona side.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.