Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a small "fleet" of Trek Police Bikes (n=6) in our department, and I'm looking to buy some good quality solvent, some wet and dry lube, and other basic maintenance products. Just curious what brands people use...pros, cons, etc.
Thanks,
Dave

· Frog Whisperer
41,516 Posts
Dave Riley said:
We have a small "fleet" of Trek Police Bikes (n=6) in our department, and I'm looking to buy some good quality solvent, some wet and dry lube, and other basic maintenance products. Just curious what brands people use...pros, cons, etc.
Thanks,
Dave
since the tax payer dollars are at stake, for a solvent I would recommend mineral spirits and for lube, home brew, (60% mineral spirits 40% high quality chainsaw bar lube) cost, about 5 bucks a gallon for each...savings to taxpayers......about 20 bucks a gallon....for a total of 40 bucks

a gallon of each ought to last about a year for 6 bikes

· Registered
2,009 Posts
I agree with TouchOGray. As crazy as it sounds, nothing wrong with his recommendations. I would use straight synthetic motor oil rather than cutting it. Bikes are maintenance. I have a hard believing that a $100,000 police officer is going to get his hands dirty on a city/town owned piece of equipment.

· Registered
21,832 Posts
Get the OMS

Dave Riley said:
I agree that for a solvent, mineral spirits works fine. However, pay a little more and get Odorless Mineral Spirits. Not so stinky.

For the chain lube, you can vary the ratio of OMS to oil - more oil makes a more durable lube, but it picks up more dirt. More solvent requires a bit more frequent lubing, but the chains will stay cleaner. Do a search on either ProLink or homebrew and you'll get lots of information. You might want to pick up a tub of grease at the auto supply store. There's lots of good brands (I like Slick50 One Grease). Beyond that, you just need rags and elbow grease.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.