Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds like a shoe-in.

Buy one and tell us how you like it.
I am on the fence about this, as this would work with any bike and the price point is low. technically you could take this any gym and get a power reading with any spin bike, it also has cadence built in.

·
Registered
20,806 Posts
What happens when your insole wears out? Throw away your $675 power meter?
What if they don't fit well in your shoe? Or if the arch support isn't right for your foot?
No venting. These aren't going to breath real well on hot summer days.

Looks like a nice option for Triathletes. But for dedicated cycling, I think there are better options.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Stinky insoles laying on a charge mat.

Wet insoles after riding in the rain.

Clever idea, but functionally flawed.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
If it can be made to administer an electric shock to the bottom of your foot if you aren't pedaling hard enough, I think they will be on to something.

Reactions: Aadub

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
One thing for sure--all of the reasons displayed here about why it won't work have never crossed the minds of the developers. Now that they have the insight of internet geniuses, they'll clearly fold their tent and go home.

How the world figured anything out before RBR is a mystery.

·
Registered
20,806 Posts
One thing for sure--all of the reasons displayed here about why it won't work have never crossed the minds of the developers.
Wouldn't be the first time product developers made a product while ignoring obvious shortcomings.
Or that a product was rather outdated by time it was released.

Power meter technology is growing quickly. And quite a few have met the same fate.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
One thing for sure--all of the reasons displayed here about why it won't work have never crossed the minds of the developers. Now that they have the insight of internet geniuses, they'll clearly fold their tent and go home.

How the world figured anything out before RBR is a mystery.
Well, I have to give you credit for one thing.......you're taking your tired act beyond disc brake threads.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Well, I have to give you credit for one thing.......you're taking your tired act beyond disc brake threads.
Oh some am I
But if you have this power meter and disk brakes you will be the fastest in your group. The others will have crashed because they did not have the control in stopping disk brakes have.

someone buy me some commas

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
RPM2 insole power meter debuts in pro racing with Cylance - VeloNews.com

https://www.rpm2.com/

A power meter you install into your cycling shoes via an insole, looks like a promising idea.
Their comparison to powertap looks potentially promising for steady state efforst, but overall is severely lacking. I'm curious to how this would handle power spikes and sprints and all.

I'm also wondering if there would be any difference in readings with cleat placement being further back or further forward.

Definitely an interesting idea. I don't jump on new tech as there are the inevitable bugs to to suss out, but at first glance it sounds pretty cool.

I do agree, though, there may be fit issues with certain shoes. I know I have some very lightweight shoes with snug toe boxes that can't handle anything more than the couple of mm thick insole it comes with (for my foot at least).

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
Yes, I'll admit that I'm prejudice against Luddites. Something about folks who know all there is to know about everything new without ever seeing or using it--all while refusing to listen to those who have.

One thing about RBR is that you don't have to listen to those boring folks who say they'll reserve judgement until they actually do know something about a product. It's like everybody's 14 years old.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Shoes full of water.
Power meter inside of shoes.
No.
That wouldn't just be Tri use right, I mean the sweat factor in some riding conditions would swamp the thing... Maybe not as dramatic, but I do a lot of hot humid riding but there are tons of folks doing way more than I am in Jersey. If it can't manage soaked it's "dead in the water."

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
I agree (I'm not knocking those who are asking questions).

The thing to be really afraid of is that everybody will be forced to wear these things. In a couple of years you won't be able to buy a pair of shoes or insoles without'em. They'll be like that effing, useless, indexed shifting that those corporate sunz-a-bit-chas shoved down our throats!
Wouldn't be the first time product developers made a product while ignoring obvious shortcomings.
Or that a product was rather outdated by time it was released.

Power meter technology is growing quickly. And quite a few have met the same fate.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.