Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
The Dropped 1
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a road bike for about a year and a half now, and had yet to try a century. Mostly I'm a mountain biker that rides on the road for training and convenience. After doing 88mi in a 12 hour race last month I started to think a century on the road was more than possible.

But, I still somewhat doubted my ability to ride that far. Hubby came up with a route so we could ride from home down to the beach, grab a coffee and a bagel and rest up, and then ride back.

We took it pretty easy on Saturday, and set out around 8:30 on Sunday morning for our ride (after watching part of the Tour stage ;)).

Traffic was pretty light.

We ran into another cyclist on the first climb (that's hubby, but we passed the other cyclist shortly thereafter)

They chatted for a bit as I hung back and attempted to conserve some energy for the day

Crossing an old bridge closed to vehicles (I know some say it's faux pas to wear yellow jerseys/rainbow stripes, etc. VV - I needed all the help I could get :p )

Bike path!

Coast Hwy

At the beach at last

This was a tough stretch for me. I think we were around miles 40-50 or so. I just wanted to stop. We slowed the pace up, which probably didn't help. I was getting uncomfortable. We had stopped twice to refill water by this point, though.

We stopped at a breakfast cafe area; it took forever to get a soda and half a bagel. I enjoyed the break, though, sitting with my feet up (and out of my bike shoes!).

Eventually we finished up and turned around to head back north.

Mile zero?!

More of the bike path

Back across the bridge

We were actually just shy of mile 79. Two big climbs loomed!

Mile 100, and still a few to go

Wound up at about 108.

I bonked as we pulled into our neighborhood :thumbsup:

Overall, great ride. I can't wait to do it again!

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Great post. Second the request for food pictures. . .that's a requirement :). I wish I had an ocean I could easily ride to. It would give me more incentive! If I were you I'd eat a little more food next time though (unless you did and didn't mention it). 1/2 a bagel and coffee would have me bonking and sleeping at mile 50 I think :).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Congrats! I agree about the food--you burn 400-600 cal/hr riding. If you aren't fueling at regular intervals, you will certainly bonk. I carry a PBJ sandwich in the jersey pocket, a few bars, some gel shots (Hammer Gel Apple Pie is awesome!), bananna, and extra sports drink powder or electrolyte powder. You need to replace electrolytes and plain water won't do it, esp if it is hot. Lunch is mandatory on top of all that! If you only ate half a bagel and a soda, you were lucky that you finished at all!!! Keep up the good work!

·
The Dropped 1
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ate plenty on the ride! It just got really hot toward the end and the warm Perpetuem didn't at all sound appetizing, so I unfortunately didn't take on any calories the last 45 mins of the ride or so. D'oh ;)

I also had a banana at the stop. The food really wasn't that exciting, but if we wind up getting the fruit bowl next time, I will definitely get shots of it :thumbsup: It looked delish!

Location is San Diego-ish. The ocean part was Oceanside bike path down to Leucadia. It was sweet; on the way from Carlsbad to Leucadia about 4 miles of Coast Hwy were still shut down for the Carlsbad tri! We timed it perfectly. There was traffic on the return trip, though. But it was cool to ride along the middle of the road!

Wind wasn't an issue at all! There was a bit of a headwind blowing west - east, so there were a few spots later in the day where I felt like I was effortlessly flying!

Glad to read the fit looks right. I've been super uncomfortable on the saddle. No real back issues. Shoulders/neck were getting sore toward the end, but that's to be expected after 8 hours!!

Soo.. I had a bottle of Perpetuem, a bottle of Cytomax, and a gel flask (sorry, I use Tropical :D). I ate half an Odwalla bar about 25 miles in or so? Finished that off about 20~ miles later. Then we stopped and got the snacks.

I drank Perpetuem regularly and probably wound up finishing about 21~oz of it mixed 2 scoops x 3 hours or so?

Also refilled with Clif Shot Electrolyte drink with caffeine for the return trip home.

Then I had half a Snickers about 22 or so miles from home, I think.

I didn't lose any weight, so water/food intake was probably pretty good.

I had luke warm Recoverite right after getting in the house, and immediately felt better. But then I had no desire to eat for like 3 hours. Weird.

Hubby and I regularly ride quite a bit. I'd just done a 12 hour mountain bike race (88 mi, 12k climbing) in mid-June, so I figured I had the fitness to ride a fairly flat road century. It was really more about mentally staying focused on finishing than anything ;)

I usually also do Endurolytes and Sport Legs at different intervals; I think it's kept my legs turning over comfortably!

Unfortunately after reading the "recreational riders what's your weekly mileage?" thread I feel like I don't ride *nearly* enough :lol:

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,062 Posts
Congratulations!!!!

What camera were you using? A point-and-shoot, I presume? If so, it has nice sharpness and nice depth-of-field.

·
Registered
23 Posts
allison said:
I ate plenty on the ride! It just got really hot toward the end and the warm Perpetuem didn't at all sound appetizing, so I unfortunately didn't take on any calories the last 45 mins of the ride or so. D'oh ;)

I also had a banana at the stop. The food really wasn't that exciting, but if we wind up getting the fruit bowl next time, I will definitely get shots of it :thumbsup: It looked delish!

Location is San Diego-ish. The ocean part was Oceanside bike path down to Leucadia. It was sweet; on the way from Carlsbad to Leucadia about 4 miles of Coast Hwy were still shut down for the Carlsbad tri! We timed it perfectly. There was traffic on the return trip, though. But it was cool to ride along the middle of the road!

Wind wasn't an issue at all! There was a bit of a headwind blowing west - east, so there were a few spots later in the day where I felt like I was effortlessly flying!

Glad to read the fit looks right. I've been super uncomfortable on the saddle. No real back issues. Shoulders/neck were getting sore toward the end, but that's to be expected after 8 hours!!

Soo.. I had a bottle of Perpetuem, a bottle of Cytomax, and a gel flask (sorry, I use Tropical :D). I ate half an Odwalla bar about 25 miles in or so? Finished that off about 20~ miles later. Then we stopped and got the snacks.

I drank Perpetuem regularly and probably wound up finishing about 21~oz of it mixed 2 scoops x 3 hours or so?

Also refilled with Clif Shot Electrolyte drink with caffeine for the return trip home.

Then I had half a Snickers about 22 or so miles from home, I think.

I didn't lose any weight, so water/food intake was probably pretty good.

I had luke warm Recoverite right after getting in the house, and immediately felt better. But then I had no desire to eat for like 3 hours. Weird.

Hubby and I regularly ride quite a bit. I'd just done a 12 hour mountain bike race (88 mi, 12k climbing) in mid-June, so I figured I had the fitness to ride a fairly flat road century. It was really more about mentally staying focused on finishing than anything ;)

I usually also do Endurolytes and Sport Legs at different intervals; I think it's kept my legs turning over comfortably!

Unfortunately after reading the "recreational riders what's your weekly mileage?" thread I feel like I don't ride *nearly* enough :lol:
:eek: Wow! Thanks for the breakdown. I've just started long distance riding in the last year (I come from a running background) and I appreciate the tips.

NEWBIE QUESTION: Do you know any good places to read up on cycling nutrition? There was around 6 things you mentioned I've never even heard of!! :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
allison said:
If you were able to comfortably able to do a 12hr MTB race - consider using the same model of saddle on your road bike. Some people may consider it taboo to use a MTB saddle on a road bike, but after comfortably finishing several endurance races on a WTB Rocket V on my mountain bike, I got one to replace the old Flite on my road bike and have been comfortable ever since.

Congrats on your first Road Century - next up you'll have to do a dirty one! A 12hr race is nothing to sneeze at.

Keep on riding.

·
What'd I do?
1,777 Posts
Farmertan said:
If you were able to comfortably able to do a 12hr MTB race - consider using the same model of saddle on your road bike. Some people may consider it taboo to use a MTB saddle on a road bike, but after comfortably finishing several endurance races on a WTB Rocket V on my mountain bike, I got one to replace the old Flite on my road bike and have been comfortable ever since.

Congrats on your first Road Century - next up you'll have to do a dirty one! A 12hr race is nothing to sneeze at.

Keep on riding.
That's so backwards. I put a Flite on my mountain bike.

Insert winky thingy here.

Nice ride Allison, hope you enjoy many more in the future.

·
Registered
127 Posts
OverStuffed said:
That's so backwards. I put a Flite on my mountain bike.
Too funny. That's exactly what I did first. I've used Flites for years on my road bikes and put one on a new MTB I built up for endurance racing. Soon found out that the Flite turned to sandpaper after about 4 hours. So I swapped over to a WTB Rocket on the MTB, liked it enough that I replaced my other Flite as well.

·
The Dropped 1
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had been comfortably riding a Phenom for awhile this year (mtb version of the Toupe), but due to discomfort and the long day I knew I'd have, I went with the cushier WTB Laser. Used a full squish on the last lap, which had a Phenom.

I may be using the Laser this Sat on a climbing ride (up Palomar S/E grade, down to 76, and back up again), but I'm not sure I want the extra weight! I'll have plenty of weight in bottles and some food.

Camera: P&S Canon SD1000IS. I love the Canon cameras! Very easy to use, and it fit fine in a case in my jersey pocket with a bunch of other stuff.

Nutrition/fitness: I've been soaking up as much info as I can on here and MTBR's training forums. Also, part of it just trial and error through long-ish mountain bike rides. The cool thing about long road rides is you can actually stop and get real food :D

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
allison said:
..... after reading the "recreational riders what's your weekly mileage?" thread I feel like I don't ride *nearly* enough :lol:
Just because some fool rides a lot doesn't actually mean they know anything.

:blush2:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.