Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Category Four Racer
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever do the Rseton Town Center Criterium in metro DC? I am going to be in DC to visit some relatives, might as well get in a race. What is the area like? How was the race last year?

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
reston is a hard crit

at least the 1/2/3 race was last summer, there were some ex-pros and pro-level amateurs in attendance; the course has a gradual uphill with several sets of these brick crosswalks that are slightly elevated so that riding over them upsets your tempo, then a downhill with some sweeping and sharp 90s and back into the uphill section. its a great race for spectators and was packed last year. i dunno if the 90 mi poolesville RR is on again this year, but most of the 1/2/3s did that the previous day as well as I....bad idea as this is a race u wanna go into fresh...we started w/ like 50 guys and people kept dropping off like rocks until the race consisted of an elite group of about 15 guys. they also had a great announcer and kewl music playing at the start area so it was excitin even for spectators. if u are at all familiar w/ dc racing, then u know how serious the competition gets in that area of the country. definitely worth it in my opinion...and they some a bunch of great resturants along the circuit after u finish

QUOTE=lexington476]Anyone ever do the Rseton Town Center Criterium in metro DC? I am going to be in DC to visit some relatives, might as well get in a race. What is the area like? How was the race last year?[/QUOTE]

·
Category Four Racer
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am cat five right now. I do not know if I will be up to cat four by late June. Do you know what folks thought of the cat five/four races?

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
about reston

there was a nasty crash in the 4/5 race..but i recommend it as a great experience...the course is a power rider's course if that helps

lexington476 said:
I am cat five right now. I do not know if I will be up to cat four by late June. Do you know what folks thought of the cat five/four races?

·
The web is a MUT
1,373 Posts
kenyonCycleist said:
... with several sets of these brick crosswalks that are slightly elevated so that riding over them upsets your tempo,
Sounds like a very strong set of wheels would be well advised.
Not in the area, but am considering a couple races here locally with some bumpy bits and am starting to think about building up a stong wheelset. Did anyone blowout any wheels on this race?

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I did it as a Cat 5 in the summer of 2002,

lexington476 said:
and I was dropped pretty good. It's a fast race, with some technical stuff -- couple of 90 degree turns one after the other, about 7 turns in all (?). If you fall off, it's hard to get back on.
The thing you must remember about this race, though, is that, like almost all races within spitting distance of DC with a novice field, they fill up very quickly in the lower cat's. Which also makes the fields crowded, which means that they pull riders pretty quickly who fall off (see, above). So, sign up early. You almost certainly could get rid of your registration if you needed to.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Reston Crit

I ride for Evolution Cycling, we are the club that puts this race on. It is a very nice course, usually with a big crowd. Of course I'm biased, but I think it's one of the best in the area...sign up early, fields do fill up quick, especially the lower cats.

·
Registered
58 Posts
like everyone else said, great course... it's a little too technical for 80 cat 4's, but it breaks up by mid-race. i did the 4 and the 3/4 races at poolesville last year, so i had put in about 80 miles of hard racing the day before... at reston i was going good, then after the snow valley guy went down, the race stopped. i never got the chance to settle in after the restart. i pulled with like 6 to go, which really sucks because the pace had dropped quite a bit.

anyway i didn't find the brick crosswalks very disruptive. the only bad part about that course was the 5th corner, which is an uphill 90 where the road narrows quite a bit. top 5 guys make it through well, the rest get stuck funnelling in. the atmosphere of the race is really cool. with the all the places to eat, and their sunday brunch customers, you get a really great audience out there to watch. the sign in is super-euro, you walk up to the bar at pizzeria uno to get your race number. that may have been my favorite part of the race.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts