Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of Time RSX pedals that make a clicking noise on the right side only. I re-installed the BB, cranks, FD, chain rings, check shoes, chain, and lubed a lot of stuff. Here is a link from cycling news

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2005/reviews/time_rxs_pedals_shoes

They had a clicking noise also.

Any one have this problem and a fix. I can't handle it anymore.

:mad2:

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Are you sure?

purplecu22 said:
Any one have this problem and a fix. I can't handle it anymore.
Have you swapped out the pedals to be sure they are the cause? Likewise shoes/cleats? Clicks/noises can come from lots of places. If it is the pedals, then about all you can do is try shooting lube everywhere.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Not the recall - something else...see picture

I have the same issue - the lower lines of RSX pedals have a metal crossbar on the pedal (see picture) body that sits very loose and I think rattles around on each stroke - I was sure it was my BB until I swapped out the pedals to eliminate that as a cause and it went away. I have not figured a way to stabilize it yet.

Nik

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Old_school_nik said:
I have the same issue - the lower lines of RSX pedals have a metal crossbar on the pedal (see picture) body that sits very loose and I think rattles around on each stroke - I was sure it was my BB until I swapped out the pedals to eliminate that as a cause and it went away. I have not figured a way to stabilize it yet.

Nik
I don't get what you mean by "lower lines" - all of the RXS (it's not RSX) and Xen pedals have that bar, including the top of the line carbon/titanium ones. The design of the mechanism is exactly the same for all.

So if its a problem for one, I can't see why it wouldn't be a problem for all. No persoal experinece though, just bought RXS Edge (mid-grade) and haven't heard it yet (1 hour on trainer).

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did check the little screws holding that bar down. The right pedal was a little loose. The left pedal, which does not click, was tight. I plan on riding today and will listen carefully for the clicking sound.

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
I have been riding RXS since 2005. You found the problem, sometimes the Torx screws that hold the cleat retaining bar come loose. Tighten them, but do not overtorque them or you can strip the threads in the pedal body. Check them for tightness periodically, 1x per week is fine.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Eric_H said:
I have been riding RXS since 2005. You found the problem, sometimes the Torx screws that hold the cleat retaining bar come loose. Tighten them, but do not overtorque them or you can strip the threads in the pedal body. Check them for tightness periodically, 1x per week is fine.
Do you know if blue locktite might be appropriate for these bolts? Also, is there a torque spec that you know of?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Camilo,

In theory yes, but the material that the bar sits in is different and perhaps as others have suggested maybe the torx screws stay in with the carbon material in the higher lines. I only suggest this because I have 3 of these pedals one titianium, one carbon and one super cheap RXE and the carbons have 10k miles+ on them and the thing never rattled the titanium also has not given me trouble but the RXE is less than 5k are rattling....

but yet just my theory

·
Juanmoretime
2,203 Posts
purplecu22 said:
I did check the little screws holding that bar down. The right pedal was a little loose. The left pedal, which does not click, was tight. I plan on riding today and will listen carefully for the clicking sound.
So did it work?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts