189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not from bikes direct

danahs said:
is it from bikesdirect?

i wonder if its possible to just buy the frameset
It is from:
http://www.bicycledoctorusa.com/Kestrel%20Bike's%20&%20Frameset's.htm

they work great with you and you can custom build. They too get them straight from the factory and pass the savings to you.

I got the whole bike for $3699. the MSRP for the frame is $2400, but I am sure they can get you one for cheap. These bikes are made at the same factory as Kuota and Orbea. The factory is Mertec. That is why these frames look so close to the orbea orca. The mold of the orbea is a bit different but they sure stole some of the seat clamping design and shapes. The bike is super fast and I come from an S-works...

I could not get another bike that rode better nor had better components. The Mavic Ksyriums SL alone are $999 just about anywhere.

Here is the custom build:

New 2009 Kestrel RT-900 size 59 frameset
2010 RED Rear Derailleur:
2010 RED Front braze on Derailleur:
2010 RED Shifter/Brake lever set:
2010 RED Brake Calipers:
2010 RED Crankset: 172.5:39/53
2010 red ceramic bb cups:
2010 Sram: Chain: PC 1090R Hollow pin:
2010 Cassette: Sram OG-1090 11-25
Cable set: sram
Wheels: 2009 Ksyrium SL wheels
Tires: Vittoria open corsa cx
Stem: ITM carbon Millennium SIZE 120
Headset: FSA ORBIT Z CARBON
Kestrel Carbon seat post rt ems
Kestrel Carbon Bars ems pro size 44

·
Two wheels=freedom!
708 Posts
Kestrel RT's are sweet bikes!

Here is my RT700 I built up with DA and Mavic K Tubulars. It was a 57cm and weighed about 16.75lbs. Ended up selling it 'cuz the head tube was so short and it put me way over.

I thought it was the nicest looking bike I had ever built up. Loved the lines and the ride was stiff but sweet.

That RT900 just looks FAST even standing still. ENJOY!!!!

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Sharp bike. Kestrels are nice bikes. I had a 200 Sci that I rode the hell out of. Bought it when "steel was real" -- before the pros even were riding aluminium frames. Everyone gave me crap about riding a plastic bike.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
RT-900 Ride Report and updates

Dear all roadies,

Today i did my first ride on the RT-900. I went for 60 miles to get a good feel for the bike and set up. What the RT-700 owner above says is true. The bike has a very aggressive feel due to the short top tube. To make it feel comfortable yet aero enough, I had to leave the spacers per the picture below. It does not look as cool but oh well, the bike made it up for a kick ass ride. So be careful when you get this bike form bikesdirect.com. If you are a specialized roubaix zerk kind of guy then this bike is not for you.

I mixed the ride with intervals of all out sprints, climbs, head wind, and just plain hammer.

The bike is very stiff and responsive to pedal input more so than my s-works. Also, it felt more stable than the specialized jumping out of the saddle and sprinting. Right now I weight 180lbs and i am 6'2" (winter poundage) and did not notice any flex what so ever.

I know the frame is 2.42lbs which is not the lightest but they sure added some beef where it matters (BB area).

The 50mph downhill was as stable as a motorcycle. It did inspire confidence.

The vibration dampening was wonderful.

The aggresive form of the bike actually is an advantage if you ride where there is a lot of wind. It kind of puts you on a TT ish position. So this bike could morph into a Tri bike very easy.

I had to add a 1mm spacer to mount the Sram Red cassette to the Ksyrium SL wheels. The cassette had play, but I was able to detect the clanking noise it was making on the set up spin around the block last night.

So far this bike is a real bargain for the money. I did a quick comparo with my buddy's Willier cento uno back to back and I felt he got cheated out $8k. The RT-900 feels like it has a motor in it.

The RT is the real deal. I was sckeptical but holy G-zus this bike is the tits.

Upgrades: Changed the cool loking albeit uncomfortable Zoncolan saddle for my Selle SLR 135g, Polar computer with cadence and heart rate monitor, and added Fizik tape.

Enjoy,

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Do you normally ride with the saddle tilted like that? Don't you have a ton of weight on your hands and feel like you're sliding forward all the time?

I really like the RT900. I had an RT700 as my wallpaper for a long time. Same copper color as rdolson.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No all the time.

Mel Erickson said:
Do you normally ride with the saddle tilted like that? Don't you have a ton of weight on your hands and feel like you're sliding forward all the time?

I really like the RT900. I had an RT700 as my wallpaper for a long time. Same copper color as rdolson.
I did feel a little weight on the shoulders but I usually have a little incline on the saddle. That way my prostate goes untouched.

I will play with it more....

Again, the bike is superb. It is like that girlfriend that is not the best looking chick in the block but will rock your world in bed....:thumbsup:

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
zion rasta said:
I did feel a little weight on the shoulders but I usually have a little incline on the saddle. That way my prostate goes untouched.

I will play with it more....

Again, the bike is superb. It is like that girlfriend that is not the best looking chick in the block but will rock your world in bed....:thumbsup:
Try this. Tilt the saddle so it's UP a couple of degrees past level. This allows you to sit on your sit bones and your hips don't roll forward. I think you'll find there's LESS pressure on your perineum and less weight on your hands and arms.

·
Registered
672 Posts
You should flip the stem to the positive side, you are encouraging a lot of flex in the front end. You clearly don't have the flexibility of a pro so no need to try and look one. Nobody is fooled when they see 60mm of spacers.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Agree and disagree

Mr. Scary said:
You should flip the stem to the positive side, you are encouraging a lot of flex in the front end. You clearly don't have the flexibility of a pro so no need to try and look one. Nobody is fooled when they see 60mm of spacers.

I agree with your comment relative to a posser look. But I am setting up my bike. It felt tall on the front so I will keep lowering spacers until it feels good. The itm is a negative only stem....

I could care less how I look on a bike, what matters is how well I do with my legs.

I race single speed mtb so the whole pro look bs may matter to you and your group riding buddies. I am posting this review for people that want to get great deal on a great bike.

As I take spacers off my "steering tube" I will place them around uranus...

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
zion rasta said:
I agree with your comment relative to a posser look. But I am setting up my bike. It felt tall on the front so I will keep lowering spacers until it feels good. The itm is a negative only stem....

I could care less how I look on a bike, what matters is how well I do with my legs.

I race single speed mtb so the whole pro look bs ma matter to you and your group ridin buddies. I am posting this review for people that want to get great deal on a great bike.

Huh, Mr Scary is right. That many spacer could/may lead to a steertube failure. There are NO issues with your stem. It can be used in a positive position. Its looks like you have 80-100mm of spacers there.

I would get a new one and set the bike up PROPERLY!

Yes, that many stem and a negative rise in not a properly set up bike.

Is passing...if you can't take criticism of you bike on message board, then don't post it.

·
Registered
672 Posts
zion rasta said:

I race single speed mtb so the whole pro look bs may matter to you and your group riding buddies. I am posting this review for people that want to get great deal on a great bike.

Don't make that your target, gross...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts