Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Shimano M225 shoes came with toe spikes that have metal tips.

I'm wondering if there's something out there that's a little rubberier, that won't slide on smooth surfaces like concrete and such. I've searched online to no avail. TIA

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
and are also

Mosovich said:
any cleats, I'm using soccer cleats that are actually longer and get a better grip on slippery run ups..
lots cheaper than the same thing packaged as a 'bike' cleat

Moscovich tis wise

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Mosovich said:
any cleats, I'm using soccer cleats that are actually longer and get a better grip on slippery run ups..
I would just like to point out that track cleats have a much smaller diameter screw. so if buying online, make sure you are getting turf cleats, and not track cleats.

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
pretender said:
My Shimano M225 shoes came with toe spikes that have metal tips.

I'm wondering if there's something out there that's a little rubberier, that won't slide on smooth surfaces like concrete and such. I've searched online to no avail. TIA
I have two sets of Sidi cleats. One set I took off about half the hight with a Dremmel. They work really well in dry conditions and when I expect a lot of running on concrete. I use the long fangs for everything else.

I've tried the soccer cleats and hate them. They don't chew into a slimy run up like the Sidi spikes do. I've actually sprinted without incident on the long Sidi spikes. At Clatsop County Fairgrounds (Astoria, OR), the finish was on a short section of pavement after a slope with a six-pack of barriers. During the race, I would remount on the pavement. However, coming into the finish, I was in a two-up sprint to the line. The only reason I got pipped was that I had the outside line (I was chasing and didn't have the luxury of choosing the inside).

Sure, running on pavement with the long spikes feels strange. But it's not dangerous. And the payoff for the absolutely unbeatable traction everywhere else is well worth it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Gripped said:
Sure, running on pavement with the long spikes feels strange. But it's not dangerous. And the payoff for the absolutely unbeatable traction everywhere else is well worth it.
Word. Back in my xc running days, we'd wear metal spikes for anything more than 50% trail.
Running on pavement just felt a bit funny. Now for muddy races and 1/2" spikes, those felt funnier on pavement, but no big deal unless you were running on pavement for more than a minute.
Bottom line: metal spikes aren't slippery on pavement/ concrete.

·
Registered
65 Posts
tjanson said:
Word. Back in my xc running days, we'd wear metal spikes for anything more than 50% trail.
Running on pavement just felt a bit funny. Now for muddy races and 1/2" spikes, those felt funnier on pavement, but no big deal unless you were running on pavement for more than a minute.
Bottom line: metal spikes aren't slippery on pavement/ concrete.
Absolutly right. Running on pavement w/ spikes is very doable. I do, however, recall actually bending a few longer (5/8" ?) spikes back in the day...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.