Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends, I am looking for pedals for my new-to-me Specialized S Works Tricross. I have decided on the Frog. I also will be getting new shoes and will get something more along the mountain bike spectrum. My riding in Maine takes me on rugged roads and on and off the bike to take pictures.
I have read the compatibility chart on the Speedplay site so I know what shoes will not work http://www.speedplay.com/pubs/instructions/mtb_2013_english.pdf.
But would appreciate suggestions on shoes that might be better than others for these pedals, would have a more recessed slot and would be rugged and comfortable enough to tromp off-road in search of the perfect image.
Thanks
David

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Based on your info, I'd suggest you don't bother with Speedplay, Eggbeaters?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Based on your info, I'd suggest you don't bother with Speedplay, Eggbeaters?
Been reading a bit more. Seems that the consensus is that the cleats for the Frogs are "unwalkable." If so, off the list. Thought about Candy's, then saw this from another recent post:
My eggbeater 3s fell apart after a year of exclusive road riding. My candies lasted a week.

Word from the bike industry, is that Crank Brothers used to have a pretty decent supply chain, but not they are relying on inferior suppliers in their supply chain and it is affecting their QC. They know they have problems and offer tremendous discounts for rebuild kits and warranty replacements. Still, you're without pedals for a couple weeks.

Ugh. I should stop reading. Maybe just duct tape my shins to the crank.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Frogs are nice pedal especially if you like a free float and no tension when trying to release. Only issue I have with the cleat is it extends past the rubber treads of my sidis. No problem walking compared to other pedals such as time atacs.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
Why are Frogs unwalkable? I rode them for 7 years without any problems with walking. The only issue I had on one occasion was mud shedding. In extreme mud, I would have to stomp my feet on the ground before trying to engage the pedal. That was in extreme sticky mud though. The other 99% of the time I had the pedals they were idiot proof and reliable. If you are reading up on pedals, read up on Candy pedals failing due to poor nylon bushings on the inboard side of the pedals. You had better get a great deal on them because you will be replacing them often.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.