Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Selle Italia has confirmed Jose Rujano will be riding the Giro del Trentino. It's hard to believe he will have any form given his lack of racing this season but good that he's finally doing something to prepare for the Giro.

I want to see as much suffering as possible this year and without him the favorites are going to focus on energy conservation and picking their spots and put a serious damper on the fireworks.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
terzo rene said:
Selle Italia has confirmed Jose Rujano will be riding the Giro del Trentino. It's hard to believe he will have any form given his lack of racing this season but good that he's finally doing something to prepare for the Giro.

I want to see as much suffering as possible this year and without him the favorites are going to focus on energy conservation and picking their spots and put a serious damper on the fireworks.
They're showing it on the RAI internet channel.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Rujano blew it...

terzo rene said:

I think Rujano blew it. Meaning, he had a good Giro, he has another contract waiting post Giro this year with a ProTour team, and then what did he do? Acted like a spoiled prima dona who didn't need to race and honor his contract with his current team, and yet, he still hasn't really won anything big, but he's acted like a spoiled kid. I hope he gets smoked this year in the Giro, transfers to his new team (Davitamon is it?), and then is never heard from again.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Rujano

Hey this guy is still young, but one thing that his new team (quickstep) not davitamon better do is stick a good climber teammate along his side.

If you recall last year much of his success was due to Ivan Parra doing most of the work up the major Giro climbs. I don't think he will get the same results without a teamate helper. Don't discount him though, although he is from Venezuela i put him in the same class of climbers as the Columbians, THEY ALWAYS ATTACK when the road tilts up.

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
2,972 Posts
Rujano showed up today, just 15 seconds off the front. I believe it was a mountain top finish.

This is good to see. Good climbers need to ride. So is he racing the Giro or not. That race needs him.

fc

----
Stage 1 - April 18: Arco-Castello Tesino, 162km

Results

1 Luca Mazzanti (Ita) Ceramica Panaria-Navigare 4.08.38
2 Eddy Ratti (Ita) Naturino-Sapore Di Mare
3 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre-Fondital
4 Andrea Tonti (Ita) Acqua Sapone
5 Emanuele Sella (Ita) Ceramica Panaria-Navigare
6 Sylvester Szmyd (Pol) Lampre-Fondital 0.08
7 Przemyslaw Niemec (Pol) Miche 0.13
8 Jose Rujano Guillen (Ven) Selle Italia-Serramenti Diquigiovanni 0.15
9 Julio Perez Cuapio (Mex) Ceramica Panaria-Navigare

10 Franco Pellizotti (Ita) Liquigas 0.22</pre>

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yesterday Rujano lose all time in the short downhill after the KOM. On the uphill he shows to be in best form that Cunego (and he is at... second race of the year!!!!!!!!)
The Selle Italia team for giro is a great team. A strong team with:
Wladimir Belli (simply a regular top ten in various Gt)
Jose Serpa (the new colombian sensation. strong in TT and very strong at Genting Highland uphill)
Gabriele Missaglia (great experience for this ex Mapei co-equipier)
Niklas Axelsson (Top ten at giro)
Illiano, Bertolini, Barbero, Fredy Gonzales (ex KOM champion at giro)

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As far as I know Selle got one of the 2 wild cards at the Giro so Rujano will be there. Selle Italia engineered his midseason transfer with the sole purpose of him riding the Giro to get them the wildcard. If he were not to show up I think the Giro organizers and Selle Italia would both have him tracked down and beaten - which shouldn't be too hard for an Italian/columbian combo to accomplish. ;-)

Belli better avoid Simoni's relatives this year so he won't have to punch one again!

·
wheel to wheel
2,236 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
They're showing it on the RAI internet channel.
Do you have a link?

My Raiclick link from last year doesn't list it all.
TIA.

·
Banned
608 Posts
terzo rene said:
Selle Italia has confirmed Jose Rujano will be riding the Giro del Trentino.
This is probably an indication that Selle Italia has laid down the law and made it clear that if Rujano does not get his stuff together and ride the Giro, then they will prevent his transfer.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Aside from...

francois said:
Rujano showed up today, just 15 seconds off the front. I believe it was a mountain top finish.

This is good to see. Good climbers need to ride. So is he racing the Giro or not. That race needs him.

fc

----
Stage 1 - April 18: Arco-Castello Tesino, 162km

Results

1 Luca Mazzanti (Ita) Ceramica Panaria-Navigare 4.08.38
2 Eddy Ratti (Ita) Naturino-Sapore Di Mare
3 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre-Fondital
4 Andrea Tonti (Ita) Acqua Sapone
5 Emanuele Sella (Ita) Ceramica Panaria-Navigare
6 Sylvester Szmyd (Pol) Lampre-Fondital 0.08
7 Przemyslaw Niemec (Pol) Miche 0.13
8 Jose Rujano Guillen (Ven) Selle Italia-Serramenti Diquigiovanni 0.15
9 Julio Perez Cuapio (Mex) Ceramica Panaria-Navigare

10 Franco Pellizotti (Ita) Liquigas 0.22</pre>
Aside from Cunego, who in that group was near the podium at the Giro last year? Or has won a big race? I can't think of any names.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the little guy do great things, and throw it on down, but I think he acted wrong just because he's had one good race, it didn't prove anything really.

·
Registered
41 Posts
magnolialover said:
Aside from Cunego, who in that group was near the podium at the Giro last year? Or has won a big race? I can't think of any names.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the little guy do great things, and throw it on down, but I think he acted wrong just because he's had one good race, it didn't prove anything really.
Simoni, Rujano, Sella were in top ten last year.
Niemec was very impressive (he was stronger then rujano or Simoni) in 2006 races like trentino and Appennino but his small team Miche was not invited to giro (like this year).

In the mountain stages with steep climbs, Niemec, Arreitunandia, Ratti probably are most competitive then Valverde, Mancebo, Kloden, Ullrich, Vino etc. (But in Tour the France there aren't steep climb and they aren't invited....)

·
It's in the game!
2,042 Posts
Yep

Under ACrookedSky said:
This is probably an indication that Selle Italia has laid down the law and made it clear that if Rujano does not get his stuff together and ride the Giro, then they will prevent his transfer.
Quick Step said they would rethink their decision if Rujano did not honor his contract with Selle Italia.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts