Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
608 Posts
Americano_a_Roma said:
Cyclingnews said he crashed on the descent to the finish and had to be airlifted to the hosptial, though I haven't seen any more details.
There are other reports that he got off his bike three kilometers from the top of the climb and quit.

·
Super Moderator
19,599 Posts
Here's a quote from VeloNews. He up at quit 3 K from the finish line. His DS is perplexed.

The day's biggest loser was the diminutive José Rujano (Selle Italia-Diquigiovanni), who attacked early on the final climb but mysteriously abandoned the Giro just three kilometers from the finish line.

Last year, Rujano lit up the Giro a stage-win and third-place overall, but got caught up in a nasty contract dispute between Selle Italia and Quick Step, which he is set to join June 1.

"José said he was feeling badly and that he couldn't brake and that he wanted to stop," team manager Gianni Savio told TuttoSport. "His withdrawal is even a mystery to me."

·
Super Moderator
19,599 Posts
And then there was this report in CyclingNews. It contradicts the VeloNews story a bit.

With 2 km to the summit of the tough Colle San Carlo ascent, Basso and Piepoli were riding away from the others under a cold rain, with Simoni at 1'15, Gutierrez Cataluna at 1'20, Scarponi and Perez Cuapio at 1'50, tough cyclocross rider John Gadret and Pellizotti at 1'55, Belli and Rujano at 2'00, Cunego and Caruso at 2'05, while Savoldelli and Di Luca were almost 3'00 behind.

At that point, Rujano suddenly climbed off and abandoned, but later crashed on the descent as he was descending to La Thuile and was then medevaced to Aosta. It's still unclear exactly what happened to Rujano, as his team director Gianni Savio said, "Yes, Rujano abandoned about 3km from the top of Colle Sancarlo. He said he was frozen and couldn't move, that he felt bad and his stomach hurt. Rujano was with Belli for a while and then disappeared. So I'm very suprised what happened."

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
I love it...

il sogno said:
And then there was this report in CyclingNews. It contradicts the VeloNews story a bit.

With 2 km to the summit of the tough Colle San Carlo ascent, Basso and Piepoli were riding away from the others under a cold rain, with Simoni at 1'15, Gutierrez Cataluna at 1'20, Scarponi and Perez Cuapio at 1'50, tough cyclocross rider John Gadret and Pellizotti at 1'55, Belli and Rujano at 2'00, Cunego and Caruso at 2'05, while Savoldelli and Di Luca were almost 3'00 behind.

At that point, Rujano suddenly climbed off and abandoned, but later crashed on the descent as he was descending to La Thuile and was then medevaced to Aosta. It's still unclear exactly what happened to Rujano, as his team director Gianni Savio said, "Yes, Rujano abandoned about 3km from the top of Colle Sancarlo. He said he was frozen and couldn't move, that he felt bad and his stomach hurt. Rujano was with Belli for a while and then disappeared. So I'm very suprised what happened."
I love that he abandoned. I love that there were a lot of people who were saying he was the "next big thing", and man, he couldn't even drag himself to the finish. Flash in the pan this guy is. You'll see him go the way of say, Astarloa, although, Astarloa has had some decent outings this year. Rujano. Remember the name, because everyone else is going to forget it by next year.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Right on Magnolia, I took one look at this guy at this years Giro and said he is not fit to win, and it wasn't because of his hair. He had noticably more weight on than last year. I even went back and watched last years tape and his arms were much skinnier. Looks like a different guy.

But what really did it for me was the fact that he elected to challenge his contract to his current squad (Selle Italia) and did not want to ride the Giro. Maybe he knew he was not in shape and would likely fall short of expectations.

Anyway I will be surprised if he rises to the top, like Magnolia said, I think he has seen his big moment in last years Giro.

J

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
I wonder where he's supposed to fit in on quickstep that they were so keen so sign him?

Will he be a mountain domestique, will they try to get him to lead a "b" squad into smaller, hillier stage races, or what?

I agree, it's pretty sad that he can't even be bothered to finish a stage. I know that it was horrible out there, but these guys ARE paid to do this.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
I agree with magnolialover. This guy has a good final week at last year's Giro, and all of a sudden he is hyped to be the next Pantani.

I feel the same about Rasmussen too though. I guess we'll see this TdF.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I think he definitely has the talent to be a truly great climber but is looking more and more like a complete headcase. Regardless of QuickStep's supposed plans for him to ride the Tour and the Vuelta, pissing away any chance to do well at the Giro by not training and showing up off form was really misguided since the last week was tailor made for him.

A lot riders only worry about the money and not history or glory and with the conditions of his upbringing that would make some sense so hopefully he is just pursuing a show me the money and damn the history books strategy instead of the dead in a hotel room with a kg of coke Pantani strategy. But the flakiness of the proceedings is worrysome. Savio has mentioned Rujano's bad advisors every time there has been some question about his behavior and they definitely don't seem to be a stabilizing influence.

·
wheel to wheel
2,236 Posts
Agree with tr.

Savio is actually being very tactful on the RAI interviews, essentially saying, "Forget it. Let's move on." No doubt he's furious off-air.

Wladimir Belli, on the other hand, unloaded pretty forcefully on him yesterday: apparently Rujano simply abandoned, and later left the hotel without even saying goodbye to ANY Selle Italia members, not to teammates nor to Savio.

Today they interviewed the QS DS en route: he also sounded quite concerned and unhappy. Bulbarelli then called him a "disgrace".

Assuming Rujano's health is OK, he sure seems to have lost a lot of credibility among many people in the last 48 hours, given his conduct all season long.

·
Former Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
Rujano attacked then he quit before the summit. Then his team car probably refused to pick him up. Then he rode down. Then he crashed and was airlifted out.

Bizarre! His stock has come way down with this Giro. His DS, Savio seems like a headcase too. Rujano is really not worth talking about. Let's wait and see what he does with the rest of his year.

francois

·
wheel to wheel
2,236 Posts
I don't know the guy, but I wouldn't call Savio a "head case".
Selle Italia generally does very well, especially considering they're a Continental team.
They always do better than several ProTour teams, and are doing so again this year.

If Savio is a "head case", what the heck are Rabobank and Bouygues Telecom (to name just 2 ProTour disappointments) even doing in this race???

·
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
cadence90 said:
I don't know the guy, but I wouldn't call Savio a "head case".
Selle Italia generally does very well, especially considering they're a Continental team.
They always do better than several ProTour teams, and are doing so again this year.

If Savio is a "head case", what the heck are Rabobank and Bouygues Telecom (to name just 2 ProTour disappointments) even doing in this race???
I really don't know about his work and it sounds like he's quite successul.

But I've heard a few public statements from him in the press and he ain't a nice man. Like most bitter divorces, it takes two to tango.

francois

·
wheel to wheel
2,236 Posts
francois said:
I really don't know about his work and it sounds like he's quite successul.

But I've heard a few public statements from him in the press and he ain't a nice man. Like most bitter divorces, it takes two to tango.

francois
I'm curious as to where you have received this impression.

I've only seen him on the RAI in-stage and post-stage interviews, and he has always been opinionated, yes, but generally positive. Last year he constantly gushed about Rujano, and seemed very supportive when they were interviewed together.

This year, in the last few days, he has made his disppointment known but has been extremely tactful IMO. He is, of course, loyal to his team first.

Certainly it takes two to tango, but if you've worked to develop a rider like that, and then the rider conducts himself the way Rujano has this entire year, well....

I was glad to hear Belli unload on Rujano when Savio held his own. Of course, Savio knows it's a lot stronger coming from another rider, especially a well-respected one.

·
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
cadence90 said:
I'm curious as to where you have received this impression.
Quotes like this:
if he doesn't race for me, he will not race this year... I heard many variations of this being reported.

"He can’t see that I plucked him out of an isolated pueblo in South America and gave him the chance to make a name for himself...."

"why he quit today is a mystery even to me"

Again, I don't know Savio and I've given this about 20 seconds of thought. Sounds like you have a lot more info on him. Sounds good, I'm listening to you and am getting a better understanding. Seems like he is just an emotional and honest man.

francois.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.