Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seeing my fair amount of violators. I tell cyclists, if you are going to pass me, then pass me, don't leap frog me and then slow down. Been experiencing this a bit over the last few weeks.

I'd like propose moving this rule up closer to #1 so other cyclists can familiarize themselves with it more.

My rant is done.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The worst examples seem to be on the G.W. bridge. here in NY, A rider sped up to pass me and then stayed in front of me until clearing the bridge, only to hop off his bike and start checking his cell phone. I see this repeatedly. Similar behavior are people racing over the bridge, passing you, and then waiting for their friends to show up.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I don't know about moving it up, but yeah I think #38 is an important one. Don't pass someone unless you're prepared to make it stick! There's few things more aggravating than having to pass some poseur multiple times because he can't maintain a speed. I give a pass to someone if I know they're doing intervals.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I committed this offense just yesterday on my commute home.

Problem is, there are a lot commuters out for bike to work week. The hardcore regulars usually maintain a steady pace, but some of the part timers are not so steady.

I caught up to, and passed a seemingly nice lady on the MUT. She wasn't considerably slower than me, but over a long, flat section, I was gaining on her and eventually made the call to pass her. A bit later, I pulled into the park to use the restroom, but found it to be closed, and decided to just ride on home. I got back on the trail, and she was just ahead of me again.

I was only about 2 miles from my turn off, so I decided not to pass her again, and just stayed behind her (not on her wheel mind you, just about 3 bike lengths back). I noticed she was speeding up (to her normal speed) and slowing down, sometimes coasting a bit, or standing briefly like she was having some seat pain. I think she was trying to get me to pass her. I just stayed back and waited until we eventually got to my turn off and I peeled off onto the road.

I think she thought I was stalking her, or maybe just being an annoying trail wheel sucker (my personal biggest bike commute pet peeve). I was really just trying to take the low road and not pass her twice. I guess I could have stayed a little further back, but with the slowing down thing, it was hard to make a good judgement on the best (most courteous) course of action.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts