Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

a beginner question. I recently read in a cycling magazine that a UCI road rule says that a nose of a saddle (on a road/racing bicycle such as used in Tour De France) must be at least 5cm behind the centre of the BB/cranks (if you drop a straight line from the nose of the saddle down to the ground).

Can anyone explain why such a rule exists? What advantages would a rider have is his saddle was positioned less than 5cm behind the BB?

thank you in advance

·
Registered
440 Posts
check bike,frames forum for discussion

acid_rider said:
Hello

a beginner question. I recently read in a cycling magazine that a UCI road rule says that a nose of a saddle (on a road/racing bicycle such as used in Tour De France) must be at least 5cm behind the centre of the BB/cranks (if you drop a straight line from the nose of the saddle down to the ground).

Can anyone explain why such a rule exists? What advantages would a rider have is his saddle was positioned less than 5cm behind the BB?

thank you in advance
I think the rule exists because the UCI does not want to let riders get into extremely forward aero positions that might be potentially dangerous in a race. Just a guess. In triathlons, the position is allowed to be much farther forward and the rule for UCI really only has application in time trials because a regular road position easily meets the requirement.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts