Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
Motobecane Gran Premio Elite
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears that over the last couple years, the GA DOT has implemented the practice of installing rumble strips in the center of the roads as well as on the margins where we cyclists ride. It started on major state routes, but know has extended to primary and secondary roads as well. My letters to the DOT and local news media have gone unanswered. The remaining roads that aren't yet a victim of this practice are too broken up to ride on in the first place. I've nowhere to ride, save laps in my subdivision or the ones adjacent to me. This is unreal. The GA DOT is doing this, "to save motorists' lives". Okay--great. It appears that cyclists' rights are becoming nonexistant. Like I said, unreal. What would you do to reverse this trend, short of packing up and moving to another state?

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take the lane?
Death by motorist is guaranteed if you do this in GA. Everyone drives at least 20 mph over the posted limit, and nearly everyone is driving like this while texting behind the wheel--totally oblivious to the world around them. Lanes here are also quite narrow to begin with. Seriously. Thanks for posting, though. I'm sure there are plenty of other states where people are more cyclist-friendly and riding in the lane isn't so dangerous.

· Banned Sock Puppet
17,776 Posts
Death by motorist is guaranteed if you do this in GA. Everyone drives at least 20 mph over the posted limit, and nearly everyone is driving like this while texting behind the wheel--totally oblivious to the world around them. Lanes here are also quite narrow to begin with. Seriously. Thanks for posting, though. I'm sure there are plenty of other states where people are more cyclist-friendly and riding in the lane isn't so dangerous.
Don't know about where you are, but where I live, the only roads that have rumble strips are roads with a wide enough shoulder to cycle on. If this isn't the case, I don't know what to say. Are there any bike clubs or advocacy groups in your state that might have some pull?

At any rate, be careful with those strips. I saw someone crash when they hit the strip trying to pass someone.

Reactions: Clipped_in

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't know about where you are, but where I live, the only roads that have rumble strips are roads with a wide enough shoulder to cycle on. If this isn't the case, I don't know what to say. Are there any bike clubs or advocacy groups in your state that might have some pull?

At any rate, be careful with those strips. I saw someone crash when they hit the strip trying to pass someone.
Thanks for the word of caution. Yes, there are some clubs around Atlanta. The big one near me is in an uproar. They've tried to reason with the County Commissioners, but the CCs don't give a rip. They view the rumble strips as "progress". GIVE ME A %$#@-ING BREAK!

· Registered
2,017 Posts
I call them texting strips, cause that’s what they enable.

almost eight years ago I hit one at 30 mph resulting in five nights in a hospital. It was a centerline strip, I was sitting up at the back of a very fast group of 14, drinking. My fault, but those strips are a major reason I’m only 20% road instead of 80%. Those strips are all over the shoulders and middle line around here.

· Banned Sock Puppet
17,776 Posts
I guess I'm lucky only the state highways here have strips. I can easily avoid most of those roads.

· Registered
26,097 Posts
You alone will accomplish nothing. Nor will contacting the DOT.
Get involved in your States cycling advocacy groups.
Push for everyone you know to write and call all your state Congress members. Over and over.

But the laws are on your side.
Georgia law:
Cyclists can — and should — take the whole travel lane
where there are poor road conditions, such as debris or
potholes, or if the road is too narrow to share safely. [§40-
6-294]
Bicyclists may lawfully ride two abreast. [§40-6-294(b)]
Persons riding bicycles upon a roadway shall not ride
more than two abreast except on paths or parts of
roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles

Get your cycling clubs to start 'protest' rides. Get groups of 6 riders (especially people with GoPros) and start riding IN THE LANE TWO ABREAST on roads with rumble strips.
This is your undeniable legal right.
Do it in groups for safety.
You do NOT have to ride on rumble strips.
You do NOT need to ride in the gutter/shoulder to the right of rumble strips. That's NOT the lane.
Print the laws out and keep them handy for reference when you ride.

Hopefully your cycling groups have attorneys. Some people will probably get cited. But any attorney can easily get it dismissed.

Create a stink.
Get media coverage.

· Registered
7,108 Posts
No one obey's the law, if you ride in the lane, they will run you over! ... and then say it's your fault, it is Georgia!
We have signs on the road, stating bikes can take the lane!!!! it don't help, the big pickups, SUV's, granny's, etc. ignore the signs. It only takes one hit to put you out.
About 1/2 my rides are gravel now. The other 1/2 are on mostly roads in subdivisions and streets with wide shoulders and/or bike lanes. If the speed limit sign is over 50mph, even with a wide shoulder, I don't ride on it cause most of the cars are doing 70.

· Registered
2,017 Posts
.... cause most of the cars are doing 70 and looking at their phones.
fify

And they put rumble strips on both sides of lanes. And add lane departure aids to vehicles, all of which enables bad driving habits. I test drove an Acura almost two years ago and you could cruise on interstate, take your hands off the wheel, and it would steer itself through a fairly significant curve for interstate standards. I could have been updating my facebook status during that time. Adaptive cruise control is stupid and adds a lot of unnecessary breaking during interstate driving. Chevy trucks now has an ad showing a truck 'auto-passing' traffic.

That said, I am all for completely automated driving once it's achievable. Where cars talk to each other and give each other right-of-way, yield to any smaller object (such as a bike) but I'll die of old age before that happens.

· Registered
350 Posts
Lots to say on his topic. Some thoughts. Drivers reading signs....Many drivers don't-cannot read as they drive. Vision problems or not from an English language background and are deficient but have a vehicle in the U.S.

Rumble strips, speed bumps and the like. I can always find a break. I.e. many times they don't encompass a paved lane width 100%, so I see the break and use it.

Bike advocacy, government. In my area, when people riding the rented scooters are negatively affected, now they will pay attention and take action.

· Banned Sock Puppet
17,776 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Some good reading from the great state of Washington in regards to rumble strips and (successful) bicycle advocacy.

That's a good story because it ended well. It looks like I will have to be a PITA to the GA DOT and local county commission....sometimes "peons" like me can be the worst pricks.

· Registered
350 Posts
Maybe a bike rider was somewhere in WSDOT handling your information. Maybe some scooter riders complained too.😀

And what about the other states being oblivious? In mine, DOT did rumble strips wrong too close to a traffic lane and it took years and pavement deteriorating until something was done. An example of DOT apathy-good that you got a positive in your case.

· Registered
21,868 Posts
Maybe a bike rider was somewhere in WSDOT handling your information. Maybe some scooter riders complained too.😀

And what about the other states being oblivious? In mine, DOT did rumble strips wrong too close to a traffic lane and it took years and pavement deteriorating until something was done. An example of DOT apathy-good that you got a positive in your case.
A common problem regards rumble strips is that while the DOT may have the right policies in place (not all do, despite guidance from FHWA, AASHTO, NACTO, etc.) the person supervising the specific rumble strip project may not be aware of/understand those policies. And then even when the job is properly specified, the contractor "just does it" without consulting the specs. It's a multilayered problem. And the DOT is loth to admit failure at any level in this process, hoping it will just go away.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts