Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing this religiously for only a few weeks, but I already swear by its effectiveness. It gets my heart-rate up super fast and its a highly adaptable activity- you can use it to focus on explosive power, endurance, even recovery. I live in a condo in a building with 21 floors.
Typically I jog up from 1-21 at a pace of about 2.5 steps per second, never stopping. I'll walk back down to 10, where I have stowed a water bottle, then sprint back up to 21, at like 5 or 6 steps per second. Walk right back down to 1 and do it all over again. This is the newest weapon in my training arsenal and I have found no other activity that gets my aerobic and anaerobic systems burning at the same time: the only thing it can compare to is hammering out-of-the-saddle on a steep grade. This is, in my opinion, the perfect off-season training routine. I definitely encourage everyone to give it a try as a consistent program if you haven't already, and share some programs/tips of you have. Keep riding!!

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
yuck. There's no bike!

I'm sure cross-training is all well and good. Once a teammate convinced me to do this with him on a really rainy day rather than do hills. Made me sore in all sorts of ways; my on-the-bike training the next day suffered. Used all sorts of muscles I never do riding.

As long as your knees are good for it, I'm sure it's a good thing for overall fitness...

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Argentius said:
. Used all sorts of muscles I never do riding
see, that's a good thing, not a bad thing!!! :)
it definitely isnt as much fun as riding. it would be an alternative/supplement to weight-training rather than riding. It ain't as much fun as hitting the bike, but i enjoy it more than hitting the gym. keep riding!

·
vegan cyclocross disco
428 Posts
I have read that doing stairs is one of the closest cross-training workouts to cycling you can do. It would seem like it would be good way to balance your leg strengths, and also build a little core strength/balance that you wouldn't get on a bike, hence the sore muscles you never use. 21 stairs sounds like an awesome workout, I bet it'll pay off.

G

·
Be careful, running stairs is also one of the best ways to wreck your knees. High impact at an angle. If there are knee problems in your family tree - it's best to skip this type of workout.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AJL said:
Be careful, running stairs is also one of the best ways to wreck your knees. High impact at an angle. If there are knee problems in your family tree - it's best to skip this type of workout.
actually an article i read in a running magazine recently, which was backed by a comprehensive study, stated that running stairs is much better for your knees than running hills. I have had history with patella tendonitis- hill training can be dangerous for me but stairs have never been a problem. so, youre wrong basically but thanks for readin the thread :)

G

·
Ok. I ran track and x-country in HS. I didn't have problems with hill sprints. I had severe problems with stair workouts. Had I been older and wiser, I would have just told the coach to let me do sprints instead of stair workouts, but that's life. My knees went all to hell when we started doing alot of stair workouts in x-country in my junior year. Now, many years later, I cycle and don't have knee problems because there is no impact (that and I found that glucosamine/chondroitin works very well for me).

So the basic premise behind my earlier comment is that most people don't know what sort of knee problems they may have until they are injured - and avoidance of high impact activities is wise if there is a history of knee problems in the family. I'm glad stairs work well for you - but they may not work for others. I in point of fact, stair workouts may be disastrous for some, as they were for me. I said what I said because I think it's better to be safe rather than sorry. Have a nice day.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I too ran track and xc at a pretty high level and continue to run competitively. i don't dispute that youre right about people with knee problems in the family having to be careful w/stairs, but I'm just saying that stairs are no more dangerous than a lot of more typical work-outs. I had no knee trouble until I upped my mileage to 115k's/week and it was the hills that got me. i agree with what youre saying, i'm just pointing out that stair-running shouldn't be singled out for this, because caution for those with a bad knee history should really be practiced when it comes to all weight-bearing activities.
What may surprise people is that it is coming DOWN the stairs, not going up, that is especially dangerous for your knees. you're supporting more than your full bodyweight if you move too quickly. walk, don't run, down the stairs to be safe, or just take the elevator back down :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts