Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Which side of the MUT would you rather see runners on?

• Right side...going with traffic.

Votes: 32 69.6%
  • Left side...facing traffic just like a road.

Votes: 14 30.4%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about this last night on my run and then today see the "Joggers in the bike lane" thread. Along the same topic of bikes vs runners, which would you prefer to see on your local MUT? The reason I ask is that I have no opinion as a cyclist since I never rides MUTs in my area. Just curious what everyone's thoughts are.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
In my encounters, the experienced ones run on either side but they tend to be at the edge of the trail so to limit blocking the lanes. The tourist runners run in the middle.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I don't care, so long as they are on a side and holding their line.

Since there's no automobile traffic the "run against traffic" "rule" is less pressing, but I can see where a runner might still prefer that method, especially on crowded MUTS.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
it depends on the width of the trail

a major MUP I run/ride on has a posted policy that pedestrians should run/walk on the left shoulder of the path

a narrower path I also use has nothing posted, and people run on the right hand side

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm very surprised that anybody has voted in favor of running against traffic. If it were that way here, I would constantly be stopping completely and riding off the side.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have to admit, I prefer running against traffic. For me, it's a simple reason...I get generally don't get buzzed quite as close by bikers or rollerbladers that way. It seems if I run on the right side, with traffic, folks coming from behind move left just far enough to get by me, but close enough the freak me out a bit.

If I'm running against traffic, the folks overtaking me have zero impact on me and I can move all the way to the side for the folks I'm meeting.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
runners that stay in the middle are one of my pet peeves. especially on the narrow twisting sections. at least 5-10% seem to do this. beats me why. otherwise I don't care.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
bikerjulio said:
runners that stay in the middle are one of my pet peeves. especially on the narrow twisting sections. at least 5-10% seem to do this. beats me why. otherwise I don't care.
they're being lazy and cutting the shortest path through the corner
(not kidding)

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Stay to the right and keep the iPod from being too loud that you can't hear riders announce that they're passing on the left.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I stopped using an iPod running years ago. Unfortunately, most of the time, the only warning I get from the bikers around here is a noisy drivetrain. Lots of leisure riders and college kids...they don't announce themselves at all. But just like riding, I prefer to run the county roads whenever possible. Based on the poll results so far though, it looks like if I am running a MUT, I'll stick to the right side.

·
ReviewBikeRoad Member
1,368 Posts
+1 on the iPod thing. I know it's a personal preference, but it annoys me when both joggers and cyclists wear them.

Not only do I keep my bike's drivetrain pretty clean, the hub doesn't make much noise when I coast, so I'm always saying "on your left, on your left, on your left" while going down the MUP near my house. I wonder how many people with the white dangling earbud cords actually hear me first. I just try and swing wide while passing so if they move over I won't hit them...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Stay on the right. Unlike a roadway, pedestrians or runners are traffic when it comes to a trail. FWIW I keep right on sidewalks. I was in Australia for a couple of months where they drive on the left and most people there tended to use road directionality on the sidewalks.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I used to say "on your left" to pedestrians, the problem being that about 50% of them don't understand, with a good chance that they move left. In this multicultural city of ours (which I love btw), I just take it easy around them on the MUT.

·
Registered
2 Posts
skyphix said:
Our MUTs specifically say, stay right.I agree with this.
Our posted rules state this also, too bad very few are geeky enough to actually read and follow those rules.

I've thought about making a template and painting the MUT every so often informing people to "stay right."

1 - 17 of 17 Posts