Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for opinions on running 25c tires at slightly lower pressures than may be indicated on the sidewall for comfort. For me, one of the main reasons to go with 25c tires is for a bit more comfort than 23c and that is accomplished in some respects by lowering the pressure 5-15 lbs especially when using a wider rim.

I have two sets of new 25c tires: Vittoria Rubino Slicks (100-130 psi recommended) and some Performance Forte Pros (110-130 psi). I'd really like to run these at ~95 psi or so. I realize that there might be some issues with bead seating at lower pressure.

Thoughts?

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,673 Posts
Looking for opinions on running 25c tires at slightly lower pressures than may be indicated on the sidewall for comfort. For me, one of the main reasons to go with 25c tires is for a bit more comfort than 23c and that is accomplished in some respects by lowering the pressure 5-15 lbs especially when using a wider rim.

I have two sets of new 25c tires: Vittoria Rubino Slicks (100-130 psi recommended) and some Performance Forte Pros (110-130 psi). I'd really like to run these at ~95 psi or so. I realize that there might be some issues with bead seating at lower pressure.

Thoughts?
they'll be fine.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
I was looking at a chart recently that said that for my weight (170lbs) I should be running 28s at 85psi. They reportedly take rolling resistance, comfort and longevity into account.
Sorry no link, I just googled it.

So yeah, what CX said.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
80-85psi is pretty safe. Used to experiment with 75. Although many people still over-inflate after every magazine put out the new hype for softer setups, there's such a thing as under-inflating.

At 140lbs, I kinda don't like things going lower 80psi. Starts to feel sloppy imo.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The main problem with low pressure is that your tire will be more prone to snakebites. The other is, that too little pressure for your weight stresses the sidewalls and let the tire age prematurely.

·
Registered
902 Posts
The main problem with low pressure is that your tire will be more prone to snakebites. The other is, that too little pressure for your weight stresses the sidewalls and let the tire age prematurely.
Of course, too much tire pressure just wears out the center of your tire prematurely, increase the chance of punctures, creates a rough ride, and reduces traction.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,673 Posts
that's when you're going slowly and a snake bites your tire? with modern tires you'd have use very low pressure and ride constantly to wear a casing out before a tread.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
that's when you're going slowly and a snake bites your tire? with modern tires you'd have use very low pressure and ride constantly to wear a casing out before a tread.
Yep, them snakes.

Sometimes I ride through Santa Teresa County Park to get to Bernal. The path I ride on is smooth dirt, but this time of yr and most of the summer, you see or hear at least one rattler cruising through..........:eek:

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
To the OP
I ride my Vittoria Open Corsa (25 mm) at 105 psi. The min says 115 psi. So, if it was a problem, I would have died going down Mt Hamilton.

Running lower pressure is not a problem really, just don't go crazy. If you drop the pressure and it does not "feel" right, it's probably too low.

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
Rim width plays a role in this discussion. If you have some of the newer (wider) rims you should be able to ride significantly lower pressure. I'm riding vittoria tubular paves on zipp 303 (25mm width) with 80 psi in the front and 85 in the back. I weigh 183 and have not had a flat in since I switched --several thousand miles ago.
It's made a huge difference in comfort on rough roads and chip seal.

Thoughts?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.