Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My issue is that I live in Florida and there is basically nothing but flat or rolling courses in my season. I have a 12-25 cassette and a 53/39 crankset and yesterday during points in my race I found myself spinning and looking for a higher gear and found myself in my highest one. I guess I am more of a big and steady rider than a high spin guy. Should I just get used to a higher cadence or would it be a better idea to look into a larger crank ring a 54 or 56 or a 10-23 sram cassette for the back? Thanks for the advise.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Do you know your cadance right now?

If you're spinning anything above 90rpms and running out of gears, bravo. Generally, people run an 11-23 race cassette, especially in a place like FL. If you're strong enough to need a gear bigger than 53x12, then you'll likely not need a 39x25. BTW, the jump from 53x12 to 53x11 teeth is the approx. equivalent of the jump from 53x12 to 58x12.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do have a Dura Ace TT crankset a 56 44 would that switch give me a more useful rage of gears to use? I will admit I am not super human by any means. I was probably spinning between 90-100. It was a square coarse and I was maxing out on 2 sections with side/tail winds. I have honestly never even used my small chain ring. I can power up any hills I have encountered in my area in the big ring with middle rear gears usually sitting. I guess the 39 is basically just dead weight for me then.

·
limit screwed
806 Posts
I guess I am more of a big and steady rider than a high spin guy.
Don't look at it as a handicap, look at it as an opportunity. Training to spin your legs faster is part of being a versatile bike racer. You can buy help in the form of a cassette with an 11 tooth cog, and that'll help some, but if you live in a place like Florida where you never even use the 39, you'll benefit much more by increasing your range and your "power band" if you can train yourself to pedal fast. ie 120 for sustained periods of time and much higher than that in a sprint/maximal effort.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Agree with the 11 cog suggestion. While spinning at 120 rpm should come natural to someone who races, cadences that high should be used only for brief periods of time because they are inefficient. For sustained fast riding, a cadence of 90-100 is much more realistic.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Get an 11-23 cassette, you don't need anything else in Florida, and going over a speed bump doesn't constitute a rolling race. :)

·
road bike resurrector
302 Posts
I'm a Floridian and I run a DA 11-23, with a 53-39, the only time I came close to maxing out an 11t was down the side of one of our bridges here that link the mainland with the beaches and I was going 45mph by the time I started running out of gear.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
"Should I just get used to a higher cadence or would it be a better idea to look into a larger crank ring a 54 or 56 or a 10-23 sram cassette for the back?"

56 big ring?
10-23 sram cassette?
WTF?

If you live in Florida, you don't need anything bigger than a 14-25 cassette, unless you can ride at 30 mph all day. (a 14-25 cassette should give you a top end of around 34 mph and a cruise speed of 28)

Learn how to make your legs go around a tad faster.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I agree with Grumpy, get a cassette with good spacing and you'll end up using more of the cogs on a daily basis resulting in prolonged cassette life and better chainline. With a 11-23 you're likely going to be using the upper end of the cassette for the vast majority of solo rides.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
you probably don't NEED an 11, but if you think your running out of gears then get one. the right thing to do would be to learn to pedal at somewhat higher rpm's. even pro's only spin the 11 at the end of really fast stages. normally the only time that cog gets used is in sprints and on fast descents.
just how fast are you going anyway? maybe you should go ride a velodrome someday and see what spinning out is all about...:D

·
Registered
289 Posts
Well, wether you need a bigger gear has been the subject of much debate here, but I think the point is that you want a bigger gear. Changing to an 11-23 cassette will give you a much bigger top gear, and mechanically is the simplest change to make.

·
The Cube
1,113 Posts
anthony.delorenzo said:
Well, wether you need a bigger gear has been the subject of much debate here, but I think the point is that you want a bigger gear. Changing to an 11-23 cassette will give you a much bigger top gear, and mechanically is the simplest change to make.
x2. also agree that if you're lower than 90 cadence, upping that will help too. until we know your cadence on average, and at the point of running out of gears, the suggestion would be the 11 instead of the 12.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts