Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since this forum also covers Triathlons.....and I started running again to do a tri....

How long do you keep shoes?? Or a better question - when do you replace shoes?? Based on miles run? Months owned??

I have a pair of cheapie New Balance running shoes that I bought in August to prepare for a triathlon. I've been running maybe 2-4x per week since 3-5 miles per run. Mostly outside sometimes in the snow. In the last week or two, my knees have started to ache somewhat. A couple of avid runner friends (nuts that do marathons for fun) both told me, almost in unison, "...homey..its' the shoes". Both worn out and inexpensive. The shoes look fine. Do I go shoe shopping?? They also said that with me being 6'1" 190lbs (*and dropping from 201 first of new year thanks to running) that I shouldn't just pick any old shoe off the shelf.

They directed me to a running shop for a good fitting. Makes sense. Shoe opinions?? Any input would be appreciated.

·
C 1/5
609 Posts
I'm not an "avid" runner - I only run about 3-5 times a week (15-20 miles or so) and I replace mine every six months or so. I really replace them based on time owned more than miles run. I tend to run cross country mostly, so they take a bit more abuse than standard road shoes.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Paul,

The time to replace shoes can depend on a lot of things. Major one is what type of midsole do the shoes have? EVA will breakdown the quickest (roughly 300-500 miles), inserts (Nike Air, etc) can prolong the life some, polyurthane midsoles (if they still make them) will last longer. It also depends on your running style, body type etc. too.

I ran track/cross-country in college, and would probably go through 3 to 4 pairs of shoes a year, so roughly every 3-4 months.

Probably the best test is simply how do the shoes make your legs feel after a run, if you are noticing more aches or soreness, might be a good time to look at new shoes if you have not gotten some for awhile.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I retire my running shoes every 4 months or so, but I just replace them with the same pair every time...I know everyones feet are different, but I will suggest to you the Asics GT2100...They are really comfortable and are relatively light..

·
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok...ok....

I'm going to the running store today. I'm bringing my current shoes to be checked out. Apparently, these guys will look at the shoe soles to see what type of runner I am ?? My toes are worn...maybe I'm a sprinter (I was a 100/200m guy in HS, 200/400m runner in college). I'll buy a new pair of shoes from them today and try them out this evening. My 'soon-to-be-old-pair' of shoes will become my everyday gym shoes.

·
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bought'em

Bought a pair of New Balance (the store didn't sell Asics). The saleslady (an avid runner) measured my foot, made me role up my pants to see how I walked, asked my weight, how offten/far I ran, for my phone number...hmmm.....etc..... She came out with three pairs of shoes in sizes larger than I expected - but they fit well. I'm running in about three hours...so I'll let you know how they feel.

Thanks for the input

·
Registered
727 Posts
PaulCL said:
Bought a pair of New Balance (the store didn't sell Asics). The saleslady (an avid runner) measured my foot, made me role up my pants to see how I walked, asked my weight, how offten/far I ran, for my phone number...hmmm.....etc..... She came out with three pairs of shoes in sizes larger than I expected - but they fit well. I'm running in about three hours...so I'll let you know how they feel.

Thanks for the input
glad to hear they did a stride evaluation and foot measurement, this is the only way to make sure you get the kind of support you need from your shoes. I wore neutral shoes for a couple years, and switched to stability shoes based on my physiotherapist's recommendation after having a bout with patellar tendonitis when i upped my mileage to 125 k/week. i've been in the clear ever since. so shoes make a huge difference, even if you get away with the weong shoes for years. happy running!

·
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
125K per week ??

125k per week...of running?? I would imagine that having the wrong shoes would kill your feet, knees, hips, etc...at that mileage rate. I'm guessing you can eat anything you want and still fight to keep weight on. I'm pretty much a winter - cycling offseason - runner doing about 25k per week. Just enough to keep the winter weight off. This season, I will have to keep running at least once or twice per week becuase of a biathlon in April and a Tri in June & October. But these are "fun" races that I'm competing in just to push myself in a new direction. My wife thinks I'm nuts 'cause I find such pain to be fun. I'm sure the members of this forum understand me better than my wife.

By the way....I ran with the new shoes last night. I didn't even notice I had the shoes on which is good. Meaning: no knee pain. Felt good. I actually ran my fastest ever over one of my usual 3.5 mile courses averaging about 7:30 per mile. That's fast for this guy.

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,777 Posts
If you like pain so much...

why didn't you just stick with the old shoes?

;) I kid. Try and keep track of your mileage on the shoes. 500 miles is a good measure to replace shoes. And yes, they might look fine, but the shock absorbing stuff inside starts to break down and loose effectiveness.

Happy running. I hate to run, but I hate being cold on the bike even more. I'll be lacing up and going for a run in about an hour.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts