Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have advice on what to wear in the winter? I run three times a week in Asics Nimbus shoes mostly on the road but about a mile on a trail. Live in Germany where I get infrequent snow, but the trail stays pretty sloppy most of the winter. Looking for something waterproof, and not as much mesh as my Nimbus. Temps will be around 30F when I am running. Salomon has some decent looking shoes with Goretex, but I have zero experience with the fit and durability of their shoes. Any runners care to give some advice?

·
Registered
671 Posts
As has been said, there's not a perfect answer. If you wear Gore-tex lined running shoes they'll fill with sweat and stench or rainwater or both and they never drain. Even if it's raining the rain will run down your legs and fill the shoes. At least a normal shoe lets the water squish out after you clear the puddles. I would buy a shoe with synthetic leather and not as much mesh. Then a pair of carefully chosen socks to keep your feet warm enough.

(Gore-Tex shoes are great for walking in wet grass)

I'll share a tip for running in those conditions: when you get finished, rinse the shoes thoroughly. If they're partly wet make them fully wet. Let them drip for a couple minutes then stuff half of an old towel inside the shoe and wrap the other half around the outside. Next squeeze the bundle (I like to walk on it with bare feet) to squeeze all water into the towel. The shoe should now be slightly damp and will air dry by the following day. The shoes will not pick up a foul odor because you're cleaning the organic matter out of them.

David

·
Short legs spinnin' fast
254 Posts
I just run in the same shoes that I run in through decent weather, which are the same shoes I run in on both road and trail. My feet and legs are very particular about the shoes I run in and I require a lighter, more neutral shoe. I've found that the "winter" shoes tend to be too bulky and heavy for me and my stride ends up being different. I just wear decent wool socks with a thin baselayer sock and am fine. I live in Michigan, so running in the winter here involves running through snow, ice puddles, slush, more snow, and temperatures that--with the wind chill--are consistently well below freezing. My feet haven't had any issues wearing lighter shoes.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I run with the Adidas Kanadia trail running shoes. They have a bit of insulation in them to make them a bit warmer. I loved them last winter with wool socks. Andy

·
Registered
169 Posts
To reiterate what others have said, look for good socks rather than a specific type of shoe. I love SmartWool socks. They won't keep your feet dry, but they will keep them warm.

After a sloppy, wet run, I take old newspaper, crumple it up, and stuff it inside the shoes to dry. I leave them in the laundry room on top of the dryer to dry. It's helpful to have two pairs in case you have back-to-back days of wet weather.

One thing that I'd caution against is icy situations. In my area (Utah), that's usually the second day after a storm when the snow's been packed down or begun to melt then frozen overnight. In that situation a trail shoe with a good sole, or a slip on traction device like Yak Trax are good options. You don't want to hit a patch of ice and end up on your arse!

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great advice. Thanks for the help. I have used the newspaper routine with my soccer cleats in college. Works like a champ. I have some smartwool socks for winter cycling, so I will give those a shot.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Do feet even get cold when you're up and going? It was about 45F here last night and I went out for a nice and easy 5 miles with my VFF shoes and no socks. My feet weren't cold at all.

Now of course it was completely dry, so moisture probably makes it a whole new ball game.

rmp

·
Registered
671 Posts
PG_Gary said:
After a sloppy, wet run, I take old newspaper, crumple it up, and stuff it inside the shoes to dry. I leave them in the laundry room on top of the dryer to dry. It's helpful to have two pairs in case you have back-to-back days of wet weather.
I've never had good experience with newspaper. Yes, it draws up some water but your shoes have wet newspaper stuffed in them overnight. The towel trick I mentioned above came about specifically because the newspaper method worked so poorly for me.

David

·
Cpark
2,062 Posts
I rotate two pairs of Gore-Tex trail running shoes.
One of them is Salomon XT Wings GTX and the other is the North Face XCR.
I like them a lot, but the Gore-Tex trail running shoes are not for everyone.
They are relatively heavy, costly and don't breath well.
I can't wear them in summer because of the lack of breathability
They do, however offer substantially better motion control and durability.
TNF one has the hooks on both sides and the heel where you can attach the Gore-Tex gaiters for running in heavy rain/snow.

good luck,

·
Opus was just napping
22,263 Posts
rshelton said:
I am also looking for winter running shoes, my friend recommend brooks running shoes to me, but I dont know if it is great during winter. Have anyone tried brooks?Thanks!

Hmmm...2 posts both hyperlinking a merchant-- In one post you say Brooks works for you and in the other you are wondering if they will work for you.

That smells like underhanded dirty rotten spamming to get people to click a link.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quick update. I found these at 50% off. Have run in them a few times in light rain/mud and all is well. Temps down the 30's haven't been bad yet. Temps above 60 were too hot. Pretty happy. Not great on paved surfaces, but running on the shoulder of the road works where I am at.

·
Converted Runner
691 Posts
I don't do trail running in the winter, but being in Canada I'm forced to run through snow, ice, slush, and cold puddles all the time. I've owned exactly one pair of trail running shoes in my life, and IMO they weren't really worth it. Like others have said, a good pair of socks makes a bigger difference, plus unless you're stepping in puddles that are more than an inch deep, the water just splashes away and doesn't enter your shoe (although if you're going slow this backfires and allows the water enough time to enter).

·
Yo no fui.
8,081 Posts
Running shoes? Do you mean to say rollers?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.