Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a followup thread to one I started a couple weeks ago about how to cope with business travel that conflicts with cycling training.

I usually go running to get in a workout when I am traveling for business. I have heard differing opinions about running as cross training for cycling, mostly stating that it is bad.

I wonder... is there is specific type of running workout that can be beneficial for cycling or on par with a cycling workout? I usually plod out 45 minutes on at a 9-10 minute/mile pace. But should I be doing a 30 minute workout with a slow warmup and then some sprints to help leg speed or as an interval workout?

Ideas? Or should I just stop obsessing about this?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I run alot. Currently I'm putting in about 20-30 miles per week. I really do not like the trainer and the 25 degree temp just demotivates me. So I say whatever you can do to keep in shape is a good thing. As for a particular workout, I'd say hills woudl be a great way to build some leg and lung power, but long slow runs that last more than an hour shoudl help keep your aerobic base if you really reduce the mileage during the winter like I do.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Find a high school football stadium and run the bleachers. It forces you to bring your knees high, mimicing the upwards pedal stroke.
Or find a downtown parking garage and run the stairwells. Skip steps so you are forced to bring the knees up.

I run the steps at the Statehouse here in Columbia. 10 sets of stadium hops (plyometrics) and 10 sets of sprinting up the steps does my legs a world of good.

·
Misplaced priorities?
352 Posts
Based on what I've seen in the sprint duathlons I've done, running & biking don't complement each other too well. Many folks could destroy me on the bike portion but give it all back to me on the run portion.

However, any exercise is better than none, so to answer your question, I'd say it depends on what aspect of your riding you wish to target. If you want to focus on your cycling power, then running hill repeats or stairs is the way to go. To boost your aerobic base, long runs are the answer. Just remember, the harder the surface, the harder it is on your knees. Also, be sure to warm up & stretch properly before you run, esp. if you're doing repeats.

·
Registered
727 Posts
i agree with merckx. stair-running is an awesome workout. and as far as running- i dont think any cyclists would said it's "bad"- rather, they might say it is bad cycling-specific fitness. running strengthens your bones and lengthens your muscles, and makes you use stability you don't use in cycling. if all you want is to improve your cycling, running isnt the best thing-if you want to improve your all-around fitness, it is. and stairs are a great go-between, and one of the very few activities that can get your anaerobic and aerobic sustems firing simultaneously. i've never done anything that mimics the feeling you get hammering up a steep climb as closely as stair-running does. happy training!

·
Banned
349 Posts
Stair running . . . Indeed !!!

Most municipal buildings have stairwells, and no one in them. I used to do about six floors (the height of the building) and then a "recovery" by walking back down. Interval training and stair climbing, builds endurance, recovery, provides intensity -- which is key for training -- and less impact on your body than running because you're not moving forward and landing on your heels.

Stadium bleachers do the same, any hill that allows you to get into you LAT zone.

I used to run a fair amount. I get disputes in here on this, but I have arthritis in both feet. I attribute it to running, and so does my podiatrist.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts