Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Rust and paint

blacklabel said:
i have noticed my bike is beginning to rust in certain places, not full blown, but spots here and there,,,what can i do?
Any place that is rusting should be sanded down to bare metal, primed, and repainted. You can use auto touch-up paint and usually get a near-perfect color match.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
blacklabel said:
i have noticed my bike is beginning to rust in certain places, not full blown, but spots here and there,,,what can i do?
As mentioned, external rust can be repaired fairly easily, but I'd be more concerned with what you may not see - internal rust. You don't mention the year, make or model of the bike, but the tubing used may have a bearing on how repairable the frame would be, if rust were found. If you can, I suggest disassembling the BB and checking there for signs of rust, but if the tubing is thin walled steel (Nivachrome is but one) and the rust has progressed, your options may be limited.

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
blacklabel said:
As the other posts said, superficial rust is often no big deal, but you can't tell what's going on inside without looking. You might be able to get an idea by taking out the seat post and using a mirror and flashlight to look down the seat tube toward the bottom bracket (hold the mirror at an angle and use it to reflect the light down inside, then you can peer into the mirror and see. Without the mirror, your head gets in the way of the light and vice versa), Better to disassemble, though.
And as long as you've got it apart, if you don't see the lace doily effect at the BB, buy something like Frame Saver to treat the inside of the frame and you're good forever. Linseed oil also works, and is cheaper, but more of a pain to use.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.