Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Colnago Master. Last year, I noticed several small spots of rust on the chromed chainstays and seatstays. It’s not from chain slap because the spots are on both sides. I removed the rust with Rustoleum Rust Dissolver and it looked much better. This spring the rust has reappeared even though the bike has been in a dry garage all winter. There are no rust issues on the painted surfaces nor on the chrome fork, This leads me to believe there is something awry in how the frame was chromed. Sorry, but I didn’t think to take photo before cleaning off the rust again. Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,881 Posts
Clean it again, then spray clear coat on it, then live with it. Unless you want to rechrome it.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Wipe it with Boeshield T-9 periodically. There’s a reason it is sold in marine stores.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The rust spots are where the chrome has failed (pitted) and the steel in the frame is now exposed. If you clean it and don't put anything on it to seal it it will come back with just a little humidity... Those spots are basically exposed steel.

You can cover it with a clear coat after cleaning (and degreasing...), most people will just hit it with some chrome polish or something like Boeshield every now and again.

If anyone experiences really pitted chrome, you can rub it with balled up aluminum foil and water. The foil is harder than the rust but softer than the chrome. Test a small spot first to make sure it is not scratching the chrome before going to town. Still the same problem afterwards, pits are exposed steel so it needs some treatment on top. I have saved very pitted vintage items (rims, bars, etc.) and with a good polish on top you have to take a good close look to notice...

·
Registered
8,629 Posts
I've been told that an old penny, of the real copper variety, will rub rust off of blued steel and do no harm to the bluing, but I don't know if this would work with a chromed finish.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts