Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
If you got the cash get some Oakley Radar's....Best darn glasses I've worn on the bike...

RX is fit right into one of their standard lenses. Vision is fantastic with no distortion. Fit is great, they hardly move at all especially considering the crappy roads we have around here.

Here's a shot of mine;

If you're interested in the Oakley's I think you need to go through an optician/optometrist that deals with Oakley.

·
Registered
984 Posts
+1 on Oakley - try on different styles to see what feels the best. I have both a pair of dark wrap around glasses and a pair of wire frames for my regular prescription. Only optometrists can order the RX from Oakley.

·
Registered
29 Posts
RX Glasses

Why not wear contacts under you regular sunglasses? Its much more versatile when riding, you don't have to carry a couple sets of glasses, and you can get whatever sunglasses you want (especially polarized).

hoya

·
Registered
106 Posts
Dale said:
Need advice on RX sunglasses what the best for cycling? buy online or any know a optician near Milwaukee Wis, that hads prescription sunglasses for cycling
I have a set of Oakley Half Jacket XLJ with perscription lens and custom coating.

Find a local Optical/Optician who can have lens cut by their lab for the frame you like.

The lab that I know can do "any lens/frame" is Pech, ask around. Highly recommended.

·
What it is
705 Posts
Adidas Evil Eye

123prs said:
I recently got a pair of Adidas Evil Eye sunglasses. I got prescription transition lenses, which adjust to the brightness. It is amazing how ell they work. I highly recommend them.
+1 on the Evil Eye. I have the older model (with transition lens also) and they have been very comfortable.

·
Registered
984 Posts
hoya said:
Why not wear contacts under you regular sunglasses? Its much more versatile when riding, you don't have to carry a couple sets of glasses, and you can get whatever sunglasses you want (especially polarized).

hoya
Some of us can not wear contacts. I have a corneal scar that could break open if the contacts irritated it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Try Sports Vision Bend in OR. Their service is awesome!
http://www.sportsvisionbend.com/

I had a pair of Rx Oakley Pro M frames for years and was going to go with the Radar. After talking with them on the phone about my profile and fit concerns, I went with a pair of Rx Oakley Flak Jackets with 2 sets of lenses. Best reccomendation ever.

I love these glasses...they fit perfectly. SportsVision was helpful, friendly and totally delivered a top-notch service experience. They know their stuff. The person on the phone was a cyclist and based his info on first-hand use. Makes spending the $$$ on these glasses worth it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Zeal make some excellent RX glasses. Check them out: www.zealoptics.com.

I've had a pair of their Lazor glasses for years. They are my go to glases for mountain biking and road riding. They have seen quite a good amount of abuse and are still intact with very little wear. The optics are quite crisp and they have interchangable lenses. I first got them with prescription lenses, then I had LASIK and ordered replacement (non-RX) lenses. Great experience with them. Their customer support is second to none.

·
Registered
49 Posts
A second vote for Zeal. I've been abusing mine for over two years and they've been great. The selling point for me was when I called them to inquire and someone talked me through everything, from finding the best lens tint and frame color to making sure they had enough coverage. They even had a handwritten note included with the glasses when they arrived making sure the tint was dark enough.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bluebug32 said:
A second vote for Zeal. I've been abusing mine for over two years and they've been great. The selling point for me was when I called them to inquire and someone talked me through everything, from finding the best lens tint and frame color to making sure they had enough coverage. They even had a handwritten note included with the glasses when they arrived making sure the tint was dark enough.
Hey, bluebug32 what model glasses do you have?

·
Banned
7,756 Posts
Oakley bought out by Lens Crafters

I'm hoping that Oakley will get their act together soon. In the past couple of months they simply haven't been able to perform or to have any credibility. This take-over could be a very good thing for those needing perscription cycling glasses in a reasonable period of time. Lens Crafters is known for speed. Oakley is known for screwing around on special orders. Let's hope we end up with something closer to the Lens Crafters business model.

I have Rudy projects with perscription inserts but could not get them in transitions or polarized. I'll never own another pair of sun glasses that are not polarized and having two lenses compounds the glare problem. The Rudy Projects do a fine job of keeping the wind out of my eyes on fast decents but they require crokies to keep them in place on bumpy roads

·
I don't exist
2,036 Posts
http://www.sportrx.com/

I have a pair of Rudy Project Horus from Sportrx (ok no hyphen)

They carry a wide selection of frames; panoptic, addias, Bolle, Vaurnet, Uvex, oakley & more.

depending on your Rx & if you want inserts, no insert (direct in frame mount) or interchangeable lenses.

if you have a strong Rx Spherical & or Cylinder you may find limits onthe styles.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.