Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone built a wheelset with Ryde rims? I was debating between the Sprint and the Comp rims with WI hubs. The Pulse Sprint is a little lighter, but the Pulse Comp is supposed to be stiffer. I originally thought of the HED rims, but now I’m not sure. I weigh 145, and live in the Fort Lauderdale area which is very flat

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Has anyone built a wheelset with Ryde rims? I was debating between the Sprint and the Comp rims with WI hubs. The Pulse Sprint is a little lighter, but the Pulse Comp is supposed to be stiffer. I originally thought of the HED rims, but now I’m not sure. I weigh 145, and live in the Fort Lauderdale area which is very flat
Yes, I've built myself a wheelset with Pulse Sprint rims and my rims weighed 392g and 381g. Of course this is very light for a 23mm wide clincher rim - or a clincher rim of any width. Something has to be compromised with such a light weight and in this case it was the nipple bed - which I measured at 1.8mm, which is also very low. I weigh 175lbs which I thought was heavy for this, one of the lightest of all rims. But the distributor assured me that my weight was in the rim's range. I did 30 rides on them and everything was fine.

After I built the Sprint wheels, I liked the quality of them so much that I got a pair of Pulse Comps. They weigh 453 and 419 and that is quite a variation eh?

Before I could build up the wheels the distributor contacted me and said that due to a few rims suffering nipple bed cracks, the sale of Sprint and Comp rims has been suspended. They didn't know whether it was the rim's fault or builder error. But the nipple bed is quite thin. So I didn't build my rims up.

I haven't heard for sure but I'll bet Ryde is re-thinking this weight based "race to the bottom" and probably re-designing the rims. That's a race that can have serious consequences IMO.

I understand that it's just their two light road rims that are affected.

Edit - I see that MMrep came up with the other Ryde threads from this year.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Mike,

Thanks for the feedback. I remember reading your original thread which is what got me interested in those rims. I guess for now I'll rethink my wheel decision, and maybe go with the HED rims.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Hey Mike,

Thanks for the feedback. I remember reading your original thread which is what got me interested in those rims. I guess for now I'll rethink my wheel decision, and maybe go with the HED rims.
I'm interested to see what they come back with as they are a very nice rim. IMO they got carried away. A sub 400g 700c rim is a unicorn. I wish all rim designers/makers would draw a line under 450g rims. Give us a beefy 2.2mm nipple bed rim and then design their rims around that. I have nipple washers on mine so I hope they help.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,437 Posts

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,437 Posts
I should have worded it "I wish all rim designers/makers would draw a line under 450g rims."

The post is edited.
I figured that's what you meant, Mike. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts