Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Very interesting article about his options. I think you might see him punch and recover for the Tour. Like it says in the article, every season is not the same. This is one of those years it would seem. Hesjedal To Decide On His Giro D'Italia Plans Before Stage 11 | Cyclingnews.com
Based on performance this season, I have to think that Garmin is planning a Dan Martin and Andrew Talansky combo for leadership for the TdF. Ryder just does not look like he is up to taking on the protected role. They have been prepping Talansky with the Vuelta the past two years and D. Martin rode his first TdF last year (which was a crashfest for them). Ryder could be a great option for support and stages if they want ot go that route, but he just doesn't look like a threat over three weeks of racing this year (at least not right now, but maybe he is sick or injured because he looked strong in supporting Martin during his first major win). Crazier things have happened though...

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
Something seems seriously amiss with Ryder, possibly health or severely overtrained to exhaustion.

Recall last year, Thor Hushovd missed most of the season due to some poorly explained "viral" infection.

These guys punish their bodies so much, it's difficult for "normal" athletes to relate to it.

I was really looking forward to a spirited Giro defense from Ryder, sad to see his plans dashed.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Too late in the season for Ryder to "switch horses" and step his form schedule up to the TdF. He'd have to ride the Dauphiné at least, far too early given his current brown-out. He might be able to re-boot at the Tour of Poland, Eneco Tour or Burgos, and have a go a the Vuelta/World's, but I believe he's also been pencilled in for a ride at the Tour of Alberta September 3 - 8 this year.

For sure he's one of the better riders out there when his form is up to it, but I think he had his lucky stars with last year's Giro, not to take anything away from the quality of his win. Andy Hampsten (a very different rider but with a similar palmares) once said that success in the Grand Tours was all about things not going wrong, which for 99% of the racers, 99% of the time, could describe their situation.

Or as Wiggo said today, "Even the Tour of Picardy is bloody hard if you're sick." And the bugs some of the riders of Hesjedal's calibre have had, like Hushvod or Evans the past couple of years, took some time to clear up. Ryder's probably better off forgetting about July.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
I have a feeling he was not well. I just hope it's something that he will get over quickly, but to continue to race won't help him get better. Poor Ryder, he's such a sweet guy.

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
Wiggins has also pulled out from Giro:
Hesjedal, Wiggins withdraw from the Giro d’Italia
TREVISO, Italy (AFP) — The Giro d’Italia lost its defending champion and its reigning Tour de France champion on Friday when Bradley Wiggins (Sky) and Ryder Hesjedal (Garmin-Sharp) withdrew from the race.
Other reports indicated many on Team Sky were fighting some illness.
Possibly same on Garmin-Sharp.

It seems a big part of the battle on these Grand Tours, is not getting ill.

There is no other human endeavor as grueling as these Grand Tours. There are no "3 weeks of 10K runs" or "3 week triathlons".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.