Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please learn me about waterproof backpacks and messengers. I've been looking at the Seallines, Ortleibs and Aquapacs so far. Is there much difference between the lines, features I should care about, etc, etc? My commute is fairly short and I'm in Seattle so I guess weather resistance and durability are my primary concerns. A bag that breathes on my back would be a plus.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
I can testify that Ortleib bags are fantastic.

But on rainy days I would still keep my stuff inside plastic bags inside whatever bag you are using.

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
I have a small Sealine backpack that holds all of my "really needs to be dry"stuff in the kayak, and it's been doing its job for 5-6 years now. I just grabbed another Sealine roll top duffle bag for fishing out of my skiff, and on friends' boats. Good stuff! STP has a couple of them on sale right now.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I have a Sealine roll top backpack that I've been using for a few years. It's proven to be durable and TOTALLY rain/snow proof. Absolutely no reason to put anything in plastic bags etc. I think the tag that was attached to it said it can even be submerged to 4 ft for some short time without leaking and I don't doubt it.

It doesn't breath all that great but no worse than any other backpack I've used. My only big gripe is that the small zippered outside pocket is nearly useless because I can't fit my hand into it when the pack is even remotely full inside. I also with it had some kind of internal pockets to organize small items.

·
Just Ridin'
91 Posts
bseracka said:
Please learn me about waterproof backpacks and messengers. I've been looking at the Seallines, Ortleibs and Aquapacs so far. Is there much difference between the lines, features I should care about, etc, etc? My commute is fairly short and I'm in Seattle so I guess weather resistance and durability are my primary concerns. A bag that breathes on my back would be a plus.

Have you looked at Deuter backpacks? I commute with a Deuter Cross Air - it has a back system designed to keep the backpack off your back (best to go to their website to see what I mean) and has a waterproof cover zipped in the base that's quick to put on and bright yellow (so motorists can see you better!)..

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haven't looked at Dueter yet. How satisfied have you been with the rain protection of the rain cover?

·
Just Ridin'
91 Posts
bseracka said:
Haven't looked at Dueter yet. How satisfied have you been with the rain protection of the rain cover?
I've got caught in a few rain showers and the cover has done all that was asked - the bag itself is also somewhat sealed (has a coating on the inside, all zips have flap covers, etc.) so you get double-protection.

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
Thirty years ago, I rode with a Fjallraven pack coated with outdoor Scotchguard. I then moved on to an early Timbuk2 messenger bag. A few years ago, I bought a Chrome bag. All are waterproof and have worked well - the Fjallraven still does day pack duty, the Timbuk2 is hanging in my office just in case, and the Chrome is used daily, rain or shine.

Great products, all three.

·
Cyclocross fool
448 Posts
Banjo Brothers backpacks are comfortable, less expensive than most others, and so far for me completely waterproof.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts