Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a first generation Tarmac S-Works frame complete with the specialized BB30 crank. Within the last month it has developed some play in the bottom bracket. If you grab the crank arms and move it back and forth you can feel a small amount of play in the crank. I took it into my LBS to to check the BB and re-torque, but the play was still present. At the time I wasn't able to notice any play in the BB when I was riding but it has progressively gotten worse over the last month even with several re-torquing events and bearing change outs at the LBS. Specialized stated that there is suppose to be some play in the BB but every other BB30 I have checked out none of them have any play. I just shipped the frame and the crank off to Specialized to be checked out for warranty. Has anyone had any experience with BB30's wearing out? Also has anyone dealt with Specialized on warranty issues? I just do not want Specialized to pack the BB full of grease and call it good and ship it back to me. I am not saying they will but I would like some input from anyone who has dealt with them.

Thanks

·
Registered
359 Posts
Well it's completely possible that a BB30 shell can become worn enough to develop some play. King has an article about why integrated headsets are such a bad idea, and the same basically applies with any integrated BB system, be it BB30, BB86, etc. I think King's claims of headset wear are a little excessive for the majority of riders, but I can defiantly see this being a problem with bottom brackets, which take much more force and are more prone to the ingress of contaminates. I've seen worn external cups develop some play, whether that is the issue or not with yours I have no idea, but I don't doubt it could be a possibility, though if it is I'd doubt it would be covered under warranty as they would likely claim it was a maintenance issue and not a manufacturing defect.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts