Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this discussion which totally explained what I've been encountering riding my new-to-me 07 Tarmac SL with the Sworks crankset (with the standard Spec 52/39 rings, and 12/27 cassette). I'm actually getting rubbing on the inside of my outer ring when I'm in the three smallest gears in the back. It just seems crazy to me that Specialized didn't make the chainline such that this doesn't occur - but perhaps this is an inherent 10-spd issue??? My previous and only road bike before owning this sweet machine had a 105 Triple w/8-speed rear, so I don't have any experience with 10-spd, or even double rings for that matter.

I've recently purchased the compact Sworks spider, and some SRAM Force 50/34 rings, and I'm getting ready to make the change-over. It sounds like the rubbing issue may even get a little worse with the compact rings. I just figured I'd check to see if anyone has come up with any way to solve the chainline/rubbing issue (other than "don't use those gear combos :) )

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
I don't have direct knowledge of your specific combination, but what you describe is generally going to be a potential issue with any short chainstay frame geometry (405-410 mm) and the narrower physical spacing of 10/11 speed cassettes & chainrings.

Campaganolo and Shimano instruction sheets that I've read, advise against cross-chaining in the extreme gears, due to increased chain wear, eventual chain failure risk, and the chainring rubbing you describe.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Not just 10 speed, 9 speed as well. Answer is the simple one, don't do that.

I'm not sure about the compact issue. On the one hand, the little ring is smaller. On the other hand, the big ring is too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts