Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a S-Works chainset and I wanted some advice on which spider to choose. Do most people run the alloy or the carbon one? And which in people's opinion is the best one to go for?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've ran both the alloy (130bcd) and carbon (110bcd) spiders and have noticed zero difference in regards to stiffness. The only issue many had with the alloy spiders is that they were silver, which Specialized seems to have remedied by painting them black to make it virtually impossible to distinguish the two. Do you need to save maybe 20 grams at most on a spider? Some would argue this, but if money is no object, then you won't need me telling you which is best.

P.S.- And this is coming from a racer/weight weenie.

·
Branodn
29 Posts
You need to buy crank arms, chain rings and a spider. The 3 together cost £700 with the carbon spider and only £50 less for the alloy spider. For me this was a no brainer, everything else on my bike is carbon so for such a small amount extra why would I not get a carbon spider?

·
Registered
857 Posts
Specialized seems to have remedied by painting them black to make it virtually impossible to distinguish the two.
Actually Specialized makes two different black alloy versions. 2011 was the year of the more gloss finished black alloy spider. For 2012+ they matted the finish a bit but neither are similar to the matte finish of the carbon spider which matches the matte crank arms and matte finish of certain Specialized frames perfectly.

The attention is in the details.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.