Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone!

Good news I've narrowed it down or at least I think. The LBS which isn't so much local it's a 300 mile drive has the bike I might be looking for.

They were asking $5,000 plus tax and I got them down to $3,600 out the door including tax for a Kuota Kult. I might be mis-spelling some of the components but here goes.

Full Rival Kit
Kuota Brakes
Fulcrom Racing 5
Stronglight 30
BB38 setup
Data Bar Stem
ZatFiro Pro Tires

The crank was carbon and the bike is red/white. I've attached some shots taken at the shop.

It's super sweet looking. I would also get 15% off all accessories. Before I make the purchase I wanted to see what you guys though and specially sa7nt considering you ride Kuota?

My other option was a s-works specialized but it was $7,399 and I got them down to $6,000 out the door. I love the Kutoa though and both bikes feel like a dream come true!!!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Very very nice! The Kult is the updated version of the Kredo Ultra. That's a good price for that bike. I would likely grab that. What component group is on there? Shimano Ultegra? SRAM Force? Either way that's a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Ah looked closer and I see it looks like it has SRAM Rival on there. I've never used Rival but I'm partial to SRAM. The frameset alone goes for around 3k, so 600 for all the additional components is a good deal. If you've ridden the bike and like it, I would grab it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sa7nt I know this is a dumb question but is SRAM Rival the same as SRAM? I've got alot to learn I know and please accept my apologies for asking dumb questions.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
SRAM is the company, Rival is the specific group components. SRAM Force is the next higher...

That's a sweet lookin' bike! But then, I'm a white/red/black kinda guy:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Great bike, great price, that's about $300 less than what you can get it for.

It is available in the SRAM Red, Dura Ave and Ultegra as well I'm sure any of those will be a little more expensive.

Love the frame.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Dayyum....you drove 300 miles and didn't have your price in mind to buy the bike? :eek: I am a pretty hardcore researcher and scrambler for deals, but I think you are even more thorough than me. I congratulate you on your thoroughness and willpower! Hope you get one of these bikes as they look great and apparently you won't run into them very often on the streets.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I had no idea what the cost of the bike was. Once I started talking to the owner and found out the Kult had a price tag of $5,000 we started negotiating. It started at $5,000, went to $4,600, went to 4,200 and I started to walk. Telling him that I had my eye on a S-Works too down in my area.

I gave him a price of $3,600 out the door with tax included. That's all I was willing to pay. I gave him my phone number and before I could get an hour out the door the phone rang "done deal $3,600" and he even said "I'll throw in 15% on all accessories with the purchase of the bike.

To be honest I only hit him at this price because Raedyn a member here on this forum did something similar with his purchase and I figured what the heck. The owner was persistent that at $4,600 it was a good deal and that these bikes were amazing. But dropping it another $1,000 signed the deal.

I've been in business for over 20 plus years and have always known that we want to move a product to the consumer more so than the consumer needing the product.

It was a shot in the dark and besides what was I going to lose. I had my eye on the S-Works which was $6,000 out the door too but I really like the Kuota.

Now with the 15% discount on accesories I'm going to need the following and if anyone can give some insight on what is best please do the honors. I'm picking up the bike Monday afternoon!

Here is what I still need:

Shoes
Clipless Pedals
Trainer
Helmet
Gloves
Wireless Computer (rear) so when I'm training at home
Some Shirts
Some Shorts

Anything else that I might need?
And Thanks a million for all those that posted and gave me help in making a decesion and special Thanks to sa7nt!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yeesh. Each of those products could have multiple threads debating pros and cons. As a new rider, you need to first decide if you want dedicated road shoes/ pedals or mountain bike shoes and pedals. If you plan on using your bike to ride to the store or to places where you may be walking around, I would recommend starting out with mountain bike shoes and pedals and then maybe later moving to road specific gear if you feel the need. If you have no need to walk in your riding shoes, then you can skip and go straight to road shoes.

For a trainer, again this has been discussed extensively. Personally I use the Kurt Kinetic Rock and Roll Pro. The Kurt Kinetic Road is a bit cheaper and people seem to like it. The design of the Kurt Kinetic trainers ensure you will never have a leak.

Helmet, gloves, jerseys and shorts- try on what they have at the bike shop and grab what feels best.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
15% is a decent discount, most shops give you 10% off when you purchase a new bike. The following suggestions are my favorites and I am sure a lot of folks will add their favorites

Shoes - Sidi Ergo 2
Clipless Pedals - Speedplay Zero Titanium
Trainer - Sorry, don't have on yet
Helmet - Giro Ionos
Gloves - Giro Monaco
Wireless Computer (rear) so when I'm training at home - Cateye Vc3
Some Shirts - Sugoi
Some Shorts = Sugoi

By the way, if the bike comes with a Selle San Marco Ponza Saddle, consider replacing it. My suggestion is Selle Gel Flow Flite or a Fizik; saddles are a personal thing, but the Ponza will get too personal with you. The 15% discount is a huge; you are getting a great deal.

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Any $3600 bike will be a fine bike. So the most important thing here is make sure the fit is perfect and the Geo suites the type of riding position you're looking for. Someone who understands Geo better than I can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that is pretty much a race bike. I'm by no means trying to imply you need to actually be racing to enjoy it but consider if that's the 'style' riding you're looking to do. Sounds like you were happy with the test ride so you probably have that covered but figured I'd throw it out there anyway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Grats man! You outdid yourself. I managed to get it at 3600, but mine has a spot on the top tube where the paint was rubbed off.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Jay Strongbow said:
Any $3600 bike will be a fine bike. So the most important thing here is make sure the fit is perfect and the Geo suites the type of riding position you're looking for. Someone who understands Geo better than I can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that is pretty much a race bike. I'm by no means trying to imply you need to actually be racing to enjoy it but consider if that's the 'style' riding you're looking to do. Sounds like you were happy with the test ride so you probably have that covered but figured I'd throw it out there anyway.
+1. Very well put. :thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts