Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
Joined
·
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So you all know me as a steel and Ti kinda guy, and after reading my morning newspaper (www.cyclingnews.com) and RBR, I come across the handmade bicycle show pics and column. Oh how I want a Vanilla, I live in Portland, it's only right that I own a Vanilla. OOOhhhhhh how I love the detail, the craftsmanship, that absolute artisrty that is pure funtion of frame design. Did you see the raised logo on the raised panel on the downtube! ooohhhhhh! Sacha, why do you torment me? Such artistry, And yes TerryB I'd even go campy, full record, with some cool campy wheels. A Vanilla would be deserving of such, Some one please admit me to a ward, as that lusty feeling in me loins is getting worse........ I'm gonna fold up like a cheap tent, and the wait, my need for instant gratification is going to have serious conflict with that wait. Someone please help me............. :(
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,767 Posts
Phat&SlowVelo said:
So you all know me as a steel and Ti kinda guy, and after reading my morning newspaper (www.cyclingnews.com) and RBR, I come across the handmade bicycle show pics and column. Oh how I want a Vanilla, I live in Portland, it's only right that I own a Vanilla. OOOhhhhhh how I love the detail, the craftsmanship, that absolute artisrty that is pure funtion of frame design. Did you see the raised logo on the raised panel on the downtube! ooohhhhhh! Sacha, why do you torment me? Such artistry, And yes TerryB I'd even go campy, full record, with some cool campy wheels. A Vanilla would be deserving of such, Some one please admit me to a ward, as that lusty feeling in me loins is getting worse........ I'm gonna fold up like a cheap tent, and the wait, my need for instant gratification is going to have serious conflict with that wait. Someone please help me............. :(
Now I see where a lot of your personal issues are coming from. First, it's been obvious, for some time now, that you have some sick grouppo perversion that drives you to soil perfectly good frames with non-Campy grouppos. You need urgent treatment to cure that ASAP. Second, while TerryB prolly has some method to his bike buying madness, it seems you've succumbed to the "dog at dinner" drive to buy bikes. That is, just like a dog keeps eating as long as there is food in front of him, you keep throwing dosh at bikes as long as there are tasty frames in front of you to buy. Very bad. If you're not careful you're going to get bike bloated and have some violent bike emesis all over yourself and family.

You're in worse shape than I thought.
 

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
Joined
·
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alien

alienator said:
Now I see where a lot of your personal issues are coming from. First, it's been obvious, for some time now, that you have some sick grouppo perversion that drives you to soil perfectly good frames with non-Campy grouppos. You need urgent treatment to cure that ASAP. Second, while TerryB prolly has some method to his bike buying madness, it seems you've succumbed to the "dog at dinner" drive to buy bikes. That is, just like a dog keeps eating as long as there is food in front of him, you keep throwing dosh at bikes as long as there are tasty frames in front of you to buy. Very bad. If you're not careful you're going to get bike bloated and have some violent bike emesis all over yourself and family.

You're in worse shape than I thought.
You are correct, although the sick grouppo perversion is only a monetary perversion, Can't afford Record. Provide me with counseling you can? There is still hope, remember I foolishly parted with 3 steeds to get the dosh for me Moots. Which buy the way I rode on Sunday, felt like magic carpet tween me arse and the road. Fortunately I don't have the scrill like Terry, or I would indeed have 15 bikes. All from small artisan builders. Can you imagine the quandry? What wheels? and the build possibilities? Which one to ride? (after me Moots of course) I need some help, still want a Vanilla, Bad. :(
 

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
Joined
·
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no way, twice as long....

Waiting for a Vanilla would be bad enough.....
I mean it's not like I'm just a mutt waiting for the scraps to fall from the table. I do have taste, on my short list:
Steel Vanilla Road
Ti Carl Strong Road
Ti Mike DeSalvo Cross
Jim Kish Ti Road
Independent Fabrication Ti Road
Titus Isogrid Road
Sycip Steel Cross
Rock Lobster Steel Cross.
If only I had the scrill.
Vanilla, I can't even have ice cream...... The Horror............
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,558 Posts
Phat&SlowVelo said:
Waiting for a Vanilla would be bad enough.....
I mean it's not like I'm just a mutt waiting for the scraps to fall from the table. I do have taste, on my short list:
Steel Vanilla Road
Ti Carl Strong Road
Ti Mike DeSalvo Cross
Jim Kish Ti Road
Independent Fabrication Ti Road
Titus Isogrid Road
Sycip Steel Cross
Rock Lobster Steel Cross.
If only I had the scrill.
Vanilla, I can't even have ice cream...... The Horror............
If I wanted another lugged frame (and I'm not sure I do since I have four) I could wait for the Sachs. Either than or an Eisentraut. But my next nice road frame will be steel and tig--either a Strong or a Soulcraft.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,767 Posts
Phat&SlowVelo said:
You are correct, although the sick grouppo perversion is only a monetary perversion, Can't afford Record. Provide me with counseling you can? There is still hope, remember I foolishly parted with 3 steeds to get the dosh for me Moots. Which buy the way I rode on Sunday, felt like magic carpet tween me arse and the road. Fortunately I don't have the scrill like Terry, or I would indeed have 15 bikes. All from small artisan builders. Can you imagine the quandry? What wheels? and the build possibilities? Which one to ride? (after me Moots of course) I need some help, still want a Vanilla, Bad. :(

Ah, you've been bewitched by those claiming that Record is more expensive than Dura Ace, when in fact there's no substantive cost difference.

The best counseling/therapy for curing your bike buying addiction is to make a substitution.....kind of like when people start chewing gum to help quit smoking. That substitution should be component purchases. That's right: the best way to get over your sinful, lustful compulsion to buy frames is to instead use that money to buy components. As a benefit, the components are much easier to hide from a spouse.

BTW, I've giving my wife therapy to help her get over her selfish and twisted need to prevent me from eventually buying a set of Lightweight Obermayers. In the session the other night, I showed her the pics, below, of a totally pimped bike build by Woz at Fairwheel Bikes, the LBPS (Local Bike Porn Shop). When she saw the wheels, she asked, "Are those the ones you want?" "No," I said, "those are much more expensive."....and it was mostly true: ADA wheels are more expensive than Lightweight wheels. Still, she didn't cuss as she looked at the screen and commented how nice those wheels looked. Heh.

The money spent on this build screams your name, PSV. Can't you hear it?
 

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
Joined
·
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is sick.

alienator said:
Ah, you've been bewitched by those claiming that Record is more expensive than Dura Ace, when in fact there's no substantive cost difference.

The best counseling/therapy for curing your bike buying addiction is to make a substitution.....kind of like when people start chewing gum to help quit smoking. That substitution should be component purchases. That's right: the best way to get over your sinful, lustful compulsion to buy frames is to instead use that money to buy components. As a benefit, the components are much easier to hide from a spouse.

BTW, I've giving my wife therapy to help her get over her selfish and twisted need to prevent me from eventually buying a set of Lightweight Obermayers. In the session the other night, I showed her the pics, below, of a totally pimped bike build by Woz at Fairwheel Bikes, the LBPS (Local Bike Porn Shop). When she saw the wheels, she asked, "Are those the ones you want?" "No," I said, "those are much more expensive."....and it was mostly true: ADA wheels are more expensive than Lightweight wheels. Still, she didn't cuss as she looked at the screen and commented how nice those wheels looked. Heh.

The money spent on this build screams your name, PSV. Can't you hear it?
Sick I say, Gold plated everything, even my bland taste for welded perfection, quite decals and manipulated tubes is offended buy the scrill thrown at that bike. Disgusting.
Now I can see the Obermayers on yur Moots with the Claviculas, You being a flashy kind of guy, Optics grad and all, but that was a wreched Parlee. I can't ride a 10,000 dollar bike. Goes against the code, Part of the Artisan craft is exclusivity, quality, and affordability. As Jim Kish would say, anybody can sell a bike for tons of scrill, throw some carbon and ti bits with gold this and that. That's not what the craft is about. What the heck am I gonna do with a build like that? I could be Lance and still feel like a farmer driving a Porsche. You know what Cyclists do, every time I got passed they would look over there collective shoulders at me and think, Monkey's got more money than brains......Reminds me of this 90 year old fart I saw while out on the Moots on Sunday, he was riding a Time VXRS for cryin out loud, doing about 12 mph.
Now lets get back to the Vanilla, Fillet Brazed or Lugged? I'm thinking Fillet, that way I can get a nice carbon fork with a CK. You almost gotta go retro fork with Lugged, you know what I mean? Campy, and what wheels? No Obermayers Please, Campy wheels? Or maybe some Nimble Spiders?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
638 Posts
You should have listened to me when I told you to put a deposit down on a Vanilla 6 months ago!!!! You would only be 12 months away now instead of 18!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Man, I hear you on the Vanillas. I don't think you can go wrong whatever you choose. Look at it this way, 16 months (what Sacha told me) is going to pass one way or another. The question is are you going to have a Vanilla at the end?

I would say just get your name on the list, you have plenty of time to work on the components. If it were me I would go for lugged, Vanilla dropouts, and consult with Sacha on the colors but let him pick the final scheme. The stainless bands he adds to the top tube are pretty sweet too. I personally don't agree that lugged needs a steel fork at all.

I can completely relate to the Vanilla lust. I was stalking his booth so much at the handmade bike show, I thought security was going to have to escort me out of there.
 

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
Joined
·
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I gotta have one.

I just gotta, I really want to be TerryB, although I would probably stop at a dozen:D
 

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
Joined
·
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
C'mon Alien

alienator said:
You need to be medicated.:rolleyes:
You of all people being a Moots owner should appreciate fine craftsmanship? What else am I gonna spend my money on? Clothes? Shoes? Furniture? I gotta have one vice in life......
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,767 Posts
Phat&SlowVelo said:
You of all people being a Moots owner should appreciate fine craftsmanship? What else am I gonna spend my money on? Clothes? Shoes? Furniture? I gotta have one vice in life......
Oh I do, alright. As I said before, component purchasing is where the fun is.....and sock buying....lot's of socks......and clothes. A person with resources would be well served to see if they could buy one of everything in the Assos catalog. Oh......and a guy should be able to buy an Umbrella Girl.....like from the MotoGP motorcycle races. At lights, the Umbrella Girl would jump out of a car and shield the rider from the sun.

Or you could endeavor to have the largest Dugast tire supply in the world.

You could pay to have your legs waxed every 3 days.

Craftsmanship appreciation? Me? Jeez. Back when I was racing motorpickles, I dismember receiving in der UPS a new Penske rear shock and rear shock linkage for me race macheen. All of humanity disappeared for a few hours as I just fondled, carressed, and examined my new bits. The linkage was a gorgeous bit o' 7075 CNC'd sex....lusty lines left from the tool, smooth, raw billet....ooooeeeerrrrrrrrr.....

Craftsmanship appreciation? Why, last fall, the spare primary mirror for Hubble was in my lab.....oooooeeeerrrrrrrrr.....ooooooeeeeerrrrrrrr..........a surface perfect to within 50 nanometers RMS.........

Don't talk to me about craftsmanship, Mr.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,302 Posts
nice to see a lugged frame. they are getting harder to find these days.

carbon fiber was not meant for chainrings. in the case of where its covering Al or other this is cosmetic only...and added wt too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
Order the Vanilla.

If you can swing it, get on the waiting list. It's a good exercise in supressing your need for instant gratification because there's NOTHING you can do about the wait... and when you finally get it you'll be glad you waited. It's not like you don't have a nice bike to ride until it arrives.

A few suggestions if I may: stainless polished lugs. The custom dropouts with the "v" in them. A Sacha custom stem? Why not. And Chorus or Centaur because silver bits are going to go better with those lugs than carbon, imo.

P.S. Sachs or Kirk would also be well worth the wait. Long as you're building up a ridiculous quiver of bikes.
 

·
eminence grease
Joined
·
18,538 Posts
Fillet brazed, S3 steel, you pick the color, something demure and in line with his general aesthetic. While I respect the whole lugged-retro approach, in my book nothing beats the lines of a filleted frame. Lugged is just too historic for me.


Put your deposit down, shut up and start waiting.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,890 Posts
alienator said:
Ah, you've been bewitched by those claiming that Record is more expensive than Dura Ace, when in fact there's no substantive cost difference.

The best counseling/therapy for curing your bike buying addiction is to make a substitution.....kind of like when people start chewing gum to help quit smoking. That substitution should be component purchases. That's right: the best way to get over your sinful, lustful compulsion to buy frames is to instead use that money to buy components. As a benefit, the components are much easier to hide from a spouse.

BTW, I've giving my wife therapy to help her get over her selfish and twisted need to prevent me from eventually buying a set of Lightweight Obermayers. In the session the other night, I showed her the pics, below, of a totally pimped bike build by Woz at Fairwheel Bikes, the LBPS (Local Bike Porn Shop). When she saw the wheels, she asked, "Are those the ones you want?" "No," I said, "those are much more expensive."....and it was mostly true: ADA wheels are more expensive than Lightweight wheels. Still, she didn't cuss as she looked at the screen and commented how nice those wheels looked. Heh.

The money spent on this build screams your name, PSV. Can't you hear it?
without discussing quality, only taste, right? black and gold is just the most disgusting combination there is. clavicula is just as bad when it comes to names. together they suggest this is a bike for caligula. very decadent.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,890 Posts
Phat&SlowVelo said:
Sick I say, Gold plated everything, even my bland taste for welded perfection, quite decals and manipulated tubes is offended buy the scrill thrown at that bike. Disgusting.
Now I can see the Obermayers on yur Moots with the Claviculas, You being a flashy kind of guy, Optics grad and all, but that was a wreched Parlee. I can't ride a 10,000 dollar bike. Goes against the code, Part of the Artisan craft is exclusivity, quality, and affordability. As Jim Kish would say, anybody can sell a bike for tons of scrill, throw some carbon and ti bits with gold this and that. That's not what the craft is about. What the heck am I gonna do with a build like that? I could be Lance and still feel like a farmer driving a Porsche. You know what Cyclists do, every time I got passed they would look over there collective shoulders at me and think, Monkey's got more money than brains......Reminds me of this 90 year old fart I saw while out on the Moots on Sunday, he was riding a Time VXRS for cryin out loud, doing about 12 mph.
Now lets get back to the Vanilla, Fillet Brazed or Lugged? I'm thinking Fillet, that way I can get a nice carbon fork with a CK. You almost gotta go retro fork with Lugged, you know what I mean? Campy, and what wheels? No Obermayers Please, Campy wheels? Or maybe some Nimble Spiders?
you are wrong; a 90 yr old on a race bike is BAD @SS. as bad as can be..
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Top