Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
BIGchainRING
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am planning on taking the train to Sacramento, then riding out to Elk Grove to visit a friend.

On google maps it looks like more or less a straight shot from Amtrak down Franklin St for about 14 miles.

My friend said that that neighborhood was kind of cutty (rough part of town), but he also does not ride bikes.

Is there anybody here familiar with that street in Sacramento? Bike lanes? Good pavement? Stray bullets?

This would help me know which bike to take.

Will post pics when I am done!!:cool:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Stray Bullets, Maybe at night

centurionomega said:
So I am planning on taking the train to Sacramento, then riding out to Elk Grove to visit a friend.

On google maps it looks like more or less a straight shot from Amtrak down Franklin St for about 14 miles.

My friend said that that neighborhood was kind of cutty (rough part of town), but he also does not ride bikes.

Is there anybody here familiar with that street in Sacramento? Bike lanes? Good pavement? Stray bullets?

This would help me know which bike to take.

Will post pics when I am done!!:cool:
I work in the Sacramento area and yes, Franklin Blvd. is in a rough part of town. Bike lanes , if they exist, are an afterthought. If you have the time, seek out the American River Bike Trail. 30 miles of car free riding along the American river.

·
BIGchainRING
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestion mtbnutty. I am gonna use the day to explore the bike trail. Take some photos, have a nice leisurely ride, grab some lunch, then meet my friend in Folsom. Should be awesome!

I'll have to save the Franklin St. ride for the next time I visit.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yeah, there is really no good way of getting from downtown to Elk Grove. I have commuted a couple of times from Elk Grove to Sacramento and it sucks. There are no good routes.

The roads are strewn with crap, and, like mtbnutty said, bike lanes are an after thought. Another thing to keep in mind is that people haul ass on Franklin. In terms of a nicer neighborhood, you might be better off coming down Freeport, but you would have to cut over at Meadowview which turns into Mack (yuck) and Freeport turns into more like an expressway and cars are moving ever faster, so... yeah.

Cut through old Sac to the American river trail and ride up to Folsom. :D Great idea.

What side of EG does your friend live on? Maybe coming down the 99 side would be marginally better...

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
trail

I've been to Sacramento on business lots of times, and almost always stay downtown and ride out the trail towards Folsom. Ride over to the Old Town area, and you can get a really long ride in and never interact with cars much. Might be lot of riders on the trail certain times of the day, and last time I was there part of it was torn up and muddy, but it's still better than being a hood ornament. I think the trail goes for about 22 miles each way.

The Holiday Inn downtown is about the closest to Old Town, with an adjacent parking garage that you can ride directly from. There's a tunnel under I 5 to get over there.

Another fun ride is to head toward the airport on back roads. Others can give specifics. Little dicey getting out of town, but ok once you do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts