Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The moderator will probably move this thread to the Pro Cycling forum, but I think the latest drug scandal on the eve of the Tour de France is of broader significance. I find it really sad more than anything. I am not a huge sports fan, but really follow Le Tour every year. I was really look forward to this year's race because of its wide-open nature with Lance retired. Now Bass, Ullrich and many other favorites apparently are out. A sad day for cycling. Hopefully it will make the sport stronger in the longrun, but I am skeptical. So much money and fame involved that many apparently can resist the urge to cheat and potentially destroy their health. Very sad.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm with you...I follow the TdF pretty religiously every year. I typically tape the OLN coverage during the day and watch at night. I try to catch every stage if I'm able. I awoke this morning to this shocking news that the Tour favorites have been pulled. I just wonder what type of evidence they have agains these guys. In baseball, football, etc., anything short of a failed drug test would not result in a suspension. I just wonder,maybe naively, if any of these guys (especially Basso and Ullrich) might, in fact, be innocent of the charges. If not, then this sport really has a tremendous problem. It may be a long time before we can trust any riders.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
I agree it is a shame but not a suprise.

The only suprise to me is that they (pro racers) got away with doping for so long. It has been an open secret for as long as I have followed pro racing that the peleton is "A rolling medical experiment on wheels." I don't really doubt that almost all pro racers push the rules just as far as they think thay can which is just a bit too far. OTOH pros are racing for the money and glory, not for the pure pleasure of riding-their loss.

Now for a question; just how did Mr. Armstrong beat all those proven and suspected dopers for so many years? Hmmmmmmmmmm...........................

·
eminence grease
18,559 Posts
MB1 said:
Now for a question; just how did Mr. Armstrong beat all those proven and suspected dopers for so many years? Hmmmmmmmmmm...........................
Precisely where my thoughts turned this morning. Since we seem to have less and less people getting caught by testing, and more and more being caught by association, clearly the masking agents are ahead of the tests.

But relative to LA, I think there are a couple of possibilities -

1) He's clean and he was stronger than they were due to his oddball physiology
2) Discovery keeps their doping program in-house and thus no likelihood of being exposed when a 2nd party gets nailed (Operation Puerto)
3) He used a prepatore that hasn't been caught or one that is smart enough not to label his blood bags "Lance"

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Sad day for cycling??............

I dont really think so. Humans, by nature love a scandal and the media will milk it for all it's worth (they always have). With basso and Jan out of the race (if it's true), then I look for George to take it. Is it right for athletes to use performance enhansing drugs? Hell no it's not, but will pro cycling sell in the Tour DeFrance?.......you damn right it will. It's about "winners and losers", "villains and heroes", and the media will play this out like a hitchcock thriller.

~ jmo :)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Not sad, a great day for cycling...

our sport will now be clean of these theives. I'm not sad, I'm elated that we are getting rid of these guys who have been lying all these years. The competition will be so much better, the excitement, the unpredictability. I say lets celebrate!!! :D

The sad part is basically, that we were all misled and the youth coming in our sport have been let down.
:mad:

·
Burning Fists of Love
6,899 Posts
great day

The clean up has started but will never be complete. HOWEVER, the names and their status are definitely putting a spin on this that to be honest, I enjoy. The doping will never ever go away, but wow, I m so stoked to see this go down with these folks. Let the heads roll.....

·
Registered
18 Posts
A great day? sort of...but also very sad day...

It's too bad that the only news that most non-cyclist hear about the sport beyond Lance Armstrong is doping. Bruyneel talks about the possible troubles teams could run into with sponsors if this sort of thing continues. Just read this at the Daily Spin

Bruyneel bearish on TDF doping situation

Bullish on Discovery Channel's Tour chances

Cyclingnews caught up with Discovery Channel's sports manager Johan Bruyneel after his team returned from the Tour de France medical checks at the Tour HQ in Strasbourg. Rumours were flying and we asked Bruyneel for his take on the situation with Operacion Puerto. "Definitely what has happened in Spain (with Operacion Puerto) is probably the biggest doping scandal in cycling and maybe even in sports ever," explained Bruyneel. "Much more than the Festina affair in 1998. And everyday, people are aware as it becomes bigger and bigger and it's definitely damaging the sport of cycling. There's been a lot of damage done already but it's getting so big that cycling is losing credibility. When people like the UCI, teams, our sponsors who are not implicated (in Operacion Puerto) start to have the impression that this is damaging their image, that is something else. That's a serious problem for cycling. It's a big deal."

Get Bruyneel's full reaction @ Cyclingnews

G

·
I said this in the Pro cycling forum and I will repeat it here.

The Spanish investigation is just that, Spanish. And it appears to be an investigation of only one Doctor and his clinic.

So all of the "clean" riders who are still racing in the Tour, all the "clean" riders whose names were not on the list of 58 are riders who did not go that clinic, or that Doctor, or that country for their "performance counselling".

Anyone whose doctor is in Italy, or Denmark, or the USA or Brazil or wherever, is according to today's news - "clean".

I think not.

·
Alien Musician
4,542 Posts
When I first was told about this, just this morning I thought it was some kind of joke.

I'm rapidly realizing it's become sort of a witch-hunt but at the same time rather
shocking nonetheless. This is bigger than the whole Festina deal from '97.

I also couldn't help but notice Tyler Hamilton's name on the doctors list but
you wonder if this isn't some kind of way to clear the field for some riders
that in some way benefits the Spanish.

G

·
aliensporebomb said:
you wonder if this isn't some kind of way to clear the field for some riders that in some way benefits the Spanish.
Don't think so - Spanish law enforcement just manned up this one and has set an example that other nations should follow.

·
It's all ball bearings
5,285 Posts
Well I'm really, really disappointed about the whole thing. Not necessarily surprised, but really disappointed. I was personally looking forward to seeing these guys duke it out in the Tour this year.

·
In need of sock puppet
9,451 Posts
from wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_hunt

"A witch-hunt was traditionally a search for witches or evidence of witchcraft, which could lead to a witchcraft trial involving the accused person. Today such events are recognised as a type of moral panic. Witchhunts still occur in the modern era, in many and various communities where religious values condemn the practice of witchcraft and the occult. On a general basis, the term may also denote the persecution of a perceived enemy (commonly socially non-conformist groups) with extreme prejudice and disregard of actual guilt or innocence."

Hmmm, I wonder what's on the rodeo channel the next three weeks...

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
It's all Armstrong's fault

If Armstrong wouldn't have been so damn good, the other riders wouldn't have been "forced" to "dope up". All in all, I could give a rat's behind if they decided to shut down the Tour this year. I've got my own riding and racing to be concerned about, and really don't have to worry if the other riders I'm lining up against, are "doped up" or not. In the short term, this will hurt cycling, and will cause a slight drop-off in new junior racers. In the long run, it can't but help cycling.

·
HyTek *******
26 Posts
terry b said:
2) Discovery keeps their doping program in-house and thus no likelihood of being exposed when a 2nd party gets nailed (Operation Puerto)
QUOTE]

I thought it was somewhat interesting that there weren't any Disco boys on the list. For the number of big teams that got hit, odds are that Disco should have had at least 1 rider go down. The Discovery Channel will probably make a reality series in the vein of Modern Marvels as to how they stay one step ahead of the testing technology. :cool:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.