Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advise on fine tuning the position of the saddle. I just bought a Specialized sirrus with a stock sonoma saddle. for the most part I find it pretty comfortable. I do notice that I tend to slide just a bit forward of my sit bones which makes the pressure a bit uncomfortable. Should I tilt the seat back just slightly from it current position?

I have been pleased with the bike for the short time that I have had it. I have not ridden since college and am really enjoying being out on the road. I am riding 10 miles at a stretch and while I am huffing and puffing, I don't feel completely exhausted at the end of the ride.

· Registered
2,651 Posts
Take your allen wrenches with you and adjust the seat. Tilt it just a little bit, then try riding again. It could be that the seat is tilted forwards just a bit too much.

· Registered
125 Posts
Here's a guideline that my LBS gave me for saddle level. Use a bit from a power screwdriver or wrench set and lay it sideways on the front of the saddle. Now use a small level from the back of the saddle and place the front on top of the bit. That should be level. The difference is about 6 mm (just over half a CM). Obviously, you can adjust from there for preference but it gives you a good starting point. Using that guide on my new Specialized Toupe saddle gave me the most comfortable aero position I've ever had with a saddle.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips guys. It was set pretty neutral, I tilted it up just slightly and rode for 10 miles. It changed the pressure area but hurt a bit more. I think I will change the angle back and move it slightly forward as was suggested and try that out tomorrow. I also picked up a pair of cycle shorts over the weekend, so that should help a bit.

· Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
joelh said:
Thanks for the tips guys. It was set pretty neutral, I tilted it up just slightly and rode for 10 miles. It changed the pressure area but hurt a bit more. I think I will change the angle back and move it slightly forward as was suggested and try that out tomorrow. I also picked up a pair of cycle shorts over the weekend, so that should help a bit.
IMO, changing KOPS to correct for your sliding forward in the saddle is the wrong thing to do. Not because KOPS is gospel, but because it's just the wrong adjustment to make. If you find that you're sliding forward because of reach, then a shorter and/ or higher rise stem is the fix.

You mentioned getting cycling shorts, which leads me to think you've been riding in some generic shorts. If that's the case, leave the saddle tilted slightly up and take a couple of rides with your new shorts.

As a general rule, small changes done slowly is the best way to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.