Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says-Saddle bag or second bottle cage with tool bottle on Madone 9???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Man, I'm Awesome
2,175 Posts
With a bike like that, you should have your team car carry everything.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I'm confused. You're on a $8,000 bike and haven't yet worked out how many water bottles you like to ride with... or where to carry your tools?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Get a trailer and do it right!

Seriously though, two water bottles and a saddle bag. Do you ever ride in hot weather?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I only ever use one bottle, never need a second, plenty of opportunities to refill. I live in Ireland so it's not too hot... I have been switching between bottle and bag, just looking for opinions on what people think looks better.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I never ever use saddlebags, one of the ugliest inventions ever made.
When I think I need extra water , which happens only 1 a 2 times a year, I take a throwaway bottle in my shirt and consume that first.
Toolbottle is so convenient when you have more then bike....

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I only ever use one bottle, never need a second, plenty of opportunities to refill. I live in Ireland so it's not too hot... I have been switching between bottle and bag, just looking for opinions on what people think looks better.

The problem with either, especially if there's water in the second water bottle, is you run the risk of your bike looking like it gets ridden further than the coffee shop.

How about both. Roughly zero people, including the rider, notice or care about such things when you're on the bike. And you can just take the saddle bag off for photo shots and coffee shop leaning.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
I only use one bottle, I use the second spot to hold a tool bottle thing.

I recommend this vs. a saddle bag for you.

If you're used to only going through one and as long as there are enough water stops, you'll be fine.

I stopped using two bottles a couple years ago, hasn't been so bad. Only time it's bad is on charity/event rides that are like 100 miles. If I'm in a group that's hammering and they aren't stopping, neither am I. In that case I just ask for water from the next guy until we stop, no real issue.

Water is very heavy. I'm not going to carry it if I'm not going to use it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The problem with either, especially if there's water in the second water bottle, is you run the risk of your bike looking like it gets ridden further than the coffee shop.

How about both. Roughly zero people, including the rider, notice or care about such things when you're on the bike. And you can just take the saddle bag off for photo shots and coffee shop leaning.
Cheers for the reply, very few coffee stops... had a nice 3 day 540km spin lastly Thursday Friday and Saturday. Plenty of miles on the bike since I got it in March.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
I use the second spot to hold a tool bottle thing.
That will work, but how do you get him to stop if you have a flat and give you your saddlebag with tools/tube/levers/cartridges?
Think you missed the part where I carry a tool bottle thing. They hold tons of stuff. They keep the weight lower on the frame too.

·
Registered
8,791 Posts

If you're used to only going through one and as long as there are enough water stops, you'll be fine.

I stopped using two bottles a couple years ago, hasn't been so bad. Only time it's bad is on charity/event rides that are like 100 miles. If I'm in a group that's hammering and they aren't stopping, neither am I. In that case I just ask for water from the next guy until we stop, no real issue.

I don't know which is worse, not carrying a tube and pump because someone else is prepared and will help, or only carrying one water bottle because someone else has two and can be sponged, so to speak, off of.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts

Why didn't I think of that? Cliff bars and gels have weight too. Once I get other people to carry that and water for me I'm .00000149 seconds closer to the all-important group ride KOM.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts