Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a break in time for saddles? Or should they feel the same from brand new as they would after a year or two?

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
The old days when saddles were leather, there was some adjustment time. Lately with the saddles I've bought...they feel good at the start or not. This is a YMMV subject. Getting the proper width and appropriate leveling for your backside is key. Some saddles just don't feel comfortable due to padding density or such so the search begins.

If one's backside is unaccustomed to riding...that takes time to acclimate. It can also be shorts issue too.

Are you getting numbness or pain?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no pain, I'm just in the on going quest to find the right saddle. and wanted to know if the saddle I just bought was going to feel any better over time.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Only leather saddles break in. Modern molded plastic saddles, whether padded, leather covered, or whatever, don't break in. They stay the way they are until they break down.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
the saddle should fit you, not you fit the saddle...

·
Larry Lackapants
696 Posts
VanillaGorila said:
Is there a break in time for saddles? Or should they feel the same from brand new as they would after a year or two?
some years (4) and one bad prostate later - I couldn't break in a selle italia max flite :( (no pain but the (slight) pressure I felt, seems to have been too much)
also, a comfy saddle should not need a micro-adjust seatpost to be rideable. (it can need that for fine-tuning the position / let you improve performance)

depending on the saddle, since the shell is plastic or alike, you might experience the shell buckling a bit, maybe after as soon as 1 year (had that with my velo pronto sl z2) -> this means the breakdown has started. but that's for flexy saddles only. saddles that are stiff from day 1 will probably keep their shape+stiffness for a long time

good luck
brblue

·
Registered
21,540 Posts
Maybe not

brblue said:
a comfy saddle should not need a micro-adjust seatpost to be rideable.
To me, "rideable" means properly adjusted. The "notch effect" of some seatposts will not let the saddle be properly adjusted unless you just get lucky. IMO, micro-adjust seatposts, regardless of the mechanical details of how that micro-adjustment is achieved, are simply required and not a "nice to have" choice.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
I don't know why people are saying newer saddles don't break in. Yes, the plastic & carbon shells used really won't "break in", but the padding used will change a little bit. When I got my current saddle, the padding was super stiff. The padding is a very high ILD foam (which most saddles use various types of foam) that has softened up considerably as I've used it. It didn't take long.
I do agree, that a saddle will feel wrong right away if it's not the right one. I was using a saddle that was too narrow because I have wider hips than usual. It caused pain. Now, I'm pain free unless I just don't move enough or do a long ride with my voler bibs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts