Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· just another biker
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new Felt this spring and just bought a new saddle for it. It's a Selle Italia SLR and I rode it for the first time this weekend on a 40 mile ride. After mile 30 I was ready to stand the rest of the way home. Does it take time for the saddle to break in or for my butt to get used to it or will I know immediately that this saddle is not for me and I should put it up on eBay?

· smell my finger
1,076 Posts
saddle comfort

I bought a new Trek Madone this year and from most reviews people were telling me the saddle is junk and get a new one right away. I just completed a charity ride in Maine covering 180 miles in 3 days and had previously ridden 3-400 miles to train for it. I have to say that the saddle is pretty comfortable for me. You have to put in many miles unless your an experienced rider to know if the saddle is real uncomfortable. Everyones bone structure is different and what works for some people may not work for you. Sorry it's not a specific answer but saddle comfort is a personal preference.

· scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
SLR in the past few years has been pretty popular. Wicked light, and actually DOES take a while to break in this saddle. Its minimalist padding is not for the faint of heart, or one that is lacking in miles. It took me a while, but actually after a bit, the saddle does become more flexy. I will say, however that with this saddle at the onset you will need to wear quality shorts. It will bite through cheap short chamois, and is somewhat less forgiving if your fore/aft adjustment is a little off. I fought this saddle for a long time, but now, even though it is worn out... have migrated it to my single speed. It looks like hell (electrical taped!!!) but is broken in nicely, so it works.

But honestly, to me, it seems kind of stupid being on a 24lb bike, but alas...comfort is everything.

· just another biker
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been riding for a few years but this is my first saddle that is not a Brooks. They took awhile to break in but feel great once they do. I'll give this one a few hundred miles and see what happens. Thanks.

· Registered
2,931 Posts
I agree with what others are saying about the SLR. It is a nice saddle. I selected and SLR flow since it was similar to the Specialized Toupe, which I really like. First ride, I couldn't believe how terrible it was for me. I was out of the seat a lot. I just got used to it, probably after a few hundred miles, and now really like it. Longest ride I've done on it is 85 miles, and it was great. I really prefer non-gel, minimalist saddles. Of course with any saddle-related comments, YMMV.

· scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Really?

Kerry Irons said:
A modern plastic base saddle with synthetic foam padding does not "break in" in any way. Your butt may adapt and toughen up, but the saddle does not break in.
I thought my SLR when I first got it was relatively stiff. But as I rode it more, the plastic... "seemed" to have more give. Maybe it does maybe it doesn't, but for whatever reason, its comfy now... and I rarely ride it. I just thought maybe it was the plastic becoming more ... stretched or mallable as it was used. Who the hell knows.

I guess you do.

· Registered
2,931 Posts
I thought my SLR when I first got it was relatively stiff. But as I rode it more, the plastic... "seemed" to have more give. Maybe it does maybe it doesn't, but for whatever reason, its comfy now... and I rarely ride it. I just thought maybe it was the plastic becoming more ... stretched or mallable as it was used. Who the hell knows.
Definitely my impression too. The cover is real leather, which will stretch with use, perhaps allowing the shell to flex more. Some of the seat covers are surprisingly strong/tight. I just discovered the shell on one of my Toupe's was cracked in two and being held together only by the cover. Pretty impressive, since it had probably been like that for a few hundred miles and I hadn't noticed.

· Registered
21,864 Posts
Seemingly giving

funknuggets said:
I thought my SLR when I first got it was relatively stiff. But as I rode it more, the plastic... "seemed" to have more give. Maybe it does maybe it doesn't, but for whatever reason, its comfy now... and I rarely ride it. I just thought maybe it was the plastic becoming more ... stretched or mallable as it was used.
The saddle base is nylon, which either stretches in failure, or maintains its shape and stiffness. The foam is polyurethane, which either is damaged and crushed, or maintains its shape and resiliency. The saddle cover is VERY thin leather, which has essentially zero structural involvement in the performance of the saddle. There is nothing to break in. Things only break down, and only after a very long time.

· Registered
3 Posts
Disagree

I would beg to differ. The SLR and in fact most of the popular Selle Italia saddles now have a thin layer of gel on top of the padding. Now this layer of gel is of the harder variety and requires several long rides to "break in". The more you ride it the more it will soften and shape to the contour of your butt.

· Registered
2,092 Posts
aluminumboy said:
I would beg to differ. The SLR and in fact most of the popular Selle Italia saddles now have a thin layer of gel on top of the padding. Now this layer of gel is of the harder variety and requires several long rides to "break in". The more you ride it the more it will soften and shape to the contour of your butt.
The standard SLR (the supposedly 135 gr model) has no gel. EVA foam on a shell made from 30% Carbon composite covered with full-grain leather. Thats all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.